1920 questions

/ 1920 questions #1  

fire72

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8N, John Deere 2010
I've had my '99 NH 1920 for a few weeks now, and have put about 30 hours on it. Two things I've noticed that I'm wondering how much attention they need how soon:

1. Most of the time the tractor is running, I get white smoke from two of what appear to be crankcase breather tubes exiting on the right lower side of the engine, toward the rear, next to the oil filter. Engine runs smooth, plenty of power, nothing unusual from the exhaust stack. Seems a little excessive to be normal, although I'm new to diesels - my old Massey 135 was the gas version. Am I seeing a minor problem, major problem, or just a personality quirk?

2. The axle lock does not fully engage much of the time. With the pedal at the limit of travel, it feels like the gears a just making brushing contact but not engaging. Is this a simple linkage adjustment or a trip back to the dealer?

Thanks for any help TBN can give on this...

/ 1920 questions #2  
As far as the white smoke goes, I'm not sure. Usually white smoke indicates water vapor. Have you changed the oil? I would and see if it goes away. Hopefully it is just water vapor.

I have a service manual for my 2120 that also covers the 1920. The differential lock does not appear to have any adjustment and any work on it seems to require the removal of the differential assembly. It does not appear to require splitting the tractor. It apears that either a shaft, a roll pin or two, a differential lock fork, or a differential lock clutch are the likely culprets. Doesn't look too bad to repair. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Andy

/ 1920 questions #3  
Andy is giving you good advice. I would check the oil.. and change it. If it has emulsified ( water ) hopefully it wa sonly from setting at the dealers lot.. and not because of a blown headgasket.

Closely monitor your radiator level to see if you are either using coolant.. or getting combustion byproducts ( oily sheen ) in the radiator or recovery tank... again.. hopefully it is just flashing off water vapor after an extended set.

Same with diffy lock info. That engagement dog is pretty much a go/no go issue... not really an inbetween or out of adjustment possibility.. fork sounds worn.. or the shaft the fork rides on is badly worn?

The 1920 is a stout tractor. I love mine. The only thing I would trade it for would either be a 2120.. or maybee a 3010s.. just cause I like the spartan look of the instrument cluster..and how it reminds me of the old ford line..

Soundguy

/ 1920 questions
Thanks for the responses, guys. When I looked at the tractor at the dealer, I noted that it was pretty dark. Salesman said oil and filter would be changed before delivery. When I checked the oil before running the tractor one morning, it was toward the low end of the OK range and still looked dark to me, so it's possible that it got missed. I'll just change it and see what happens. Will also check coolant for contamination.

I really like this tractor so far. There have already been quite a few occasions when I have finished a job and thought that it would have been difficult or impossible with my old tractor. I just hope I don't have maintenance problems biting me...

Fire72

/ 1920 questions #5  
Keep in mind that diesel makes soot. Even if your oil was changed.. it only takes a few hours of running on an engine that already has time on it to make new oil dark again.

In fact.. you could take a machine with 1000 hours on it, and probably change its oil once a week for a month before you got clean oil out of it.. Then again.. they could have missed it too!

Soundguy

/ 1920 questions #6  
fire72,

Whenever I have difficulty engaging the front axle, its because the front wheels are turned. Just as a long shot, when you engage yours, make sure they are straight ahead. Haven't seen the smoke problem. Mine is a 1988 model and its been great. Good luck with yours.

John

/ 1920 questions #7  
jmc,

I think fire72 is referring to the differential lock pedal, rather than the front wheel drive engagement lever.

My old Ford 1700 has no adjustemnts on the diff lock pedal, but it is pretty positive if I step on the lever.
With the 4WD option mine has, I've only used the diff lock a few times that I can recall.