Bucket roll hydro constantly wants to engage itself

/ Bucket roll hydro constantly wants to engage itself #1  

jpilk99

Gold Member
Tractor
1983 Ford 1700, 4WD, 770 Loader, Woods backhoe, Woods brush hog,etc.
Hi All.

I have a 1983 Ford 1700 with a front end loader with 2 hydro controls: Bucket roll and up & down of the arms. The bucket roll control when, at rest, constantly wants to act like I'm pulling on it - rolling the bucket upwards.

Anyone else have this - and what can I do to correct it?

Thank you!

Jay

/ Bucket roll hydro constantly wants to engage itself #2  
Its likely that the valve is getting stuck. I would first try spraying it down with penetrating oil.

/ Bucket roll hydro constantly wants to engage itself
Its likely that the valve is getting stuck. I would first try spraying it down with penetrating oil.

Thanks Wolfy. Interesting; I recall hitting the levels & "sliding" elements of the hydros this summer and it seemed shortly thereafter that the condition started. I thought I caused the problem by hitting it with lubricating oil/spray... Can't hurt to try again I guess.

/ Bucket roll hydro constantly wants to engage itself #4  
Are both handles lined up? Sounds like the curl one is not returning.

Are both handles lined up? Sounds like the curl one is not returning.

Here's some pics. Not sure I understand what you mean about the handles lining up... But, I did think that the "S" shaped part at the bottom of the lever doesn't seem to be keeping the lever in place...

IMG_3984.JPGIMG_3985.JPGIMG_3986.JPGIMG_3987.JPG

/ Bucket roll hydro constantly wants to engage itself #6  
The curl lever spring loads back to center when you let go? I.e., pull back and let go, it returns to center? Push forward and let go, it returns to center?

The curl lever spring loads back to center when you let go? I.e., pull back and let go, it returns to center? Push forward and let go, it returns to center?

When I do either, pull or push, and then let go - it goes back to center ...for a second or two; and then starts creeping "in" as if I'm pulling back on the handle and rolling the bucket up. I have to constantly hit it, or hold it 'at rest' while I engage the arms of the loader lifting up or down... it constantly wants to roll the bucket UP.

/ Bucket roll hydro constantly wants to engage itself #8  
That's definitely an internal problem with the valve. I'm not smart enough to guide you toward a fix.

Hopefully someone will chime in here soon with an answer. Sorry.

/ Bucket roll hydro constantly wants to engage itself #9  
They look pretty even to me, but it's hard to tell, but it does sound like something internally is leaking, worn for the bucket to curl on you. I don't have my 1700 anymore upgraded to a 1920. I can say I do not miss the two levers at all.

Last edited:
   / Bucket roll hydro constantly wants to engage itself #10  
Depending on how savvy you are, might consider removing the spool from the curl valve looking for any kind of damage or debris.

Totally off subject, studying the valve pics I noticed the two stick transmission shift. Can you explain how the gears work? Is it 12 speeds forward/4 speeds reverse?