Breaking in New TC

/ Breaking in New TC #1  

TMAC

Gold Member
Tractor
2004 TC45DA w/SuperSteer
Now I've just recently read parts of the good ole NH Class III DA manual on the Break-in procedures and they sound about like every other break-in procedure for any other engine.

However I have a few questions regarding their procedures. Where it says, "avoid continuous operation at constant engine speeds while pulling heavy loads or without a load on the engine."

Here's my situation. The first thing or real work I'm planning on doing besides playing around on the tractor when it arrives is to bush hog about 7-acres of open field along with using the front end loader to pick up and clear out some wood piles and Locust posts that I've been populating since the end of December.

My Question: Would I be voiding the Break-in procedures by bush hogging a 7-acre field considering I'll be operating at a continuous constant speed? I’m not considering (at least I don’t think), that the bush hog(632lbs) is a heavy load for a TC45DA so I myself don’t think I’m voiding the break-in procedures but, would like to here some experienced suggestions from you all. Thanks!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 426199-Tractor2A.jpg
    426199-Tractor2A.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 273
   / Breaking in New TC #2  
Well, the only thing I'd recommend is that you go by your owner's manual and what the dealer tells you, but I can tell you what I'd do if it were me: /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'd get to work with that tractor. But if I were going to brush hog 7 acres, I'd probably stop every 20 or 30 minutes, leave the PTO engaged unless I was going to get off the tractor for a break, and let the tractor idle for 2 or 3 minutes, then go again. In other words, basically what the manual is saying is to vary the RPM and I'd do that, but it wouldn't slow down the work a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Breaking in New TC #3  
Greg,

I basically did just like Bird said when I first got my 24. Except I wasn't using the cutter I was using the MMM, but same idea. Of course those first couple of mowings there was enough of a learning curve that I ended up stopping probably more than I needed.

I bet you don't sleep tonight!!!!! Our you going to be um....sick...yeah that is the word I was looking for tomorrow evening when work time comes? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Breaking in New TC
<font color="blue">
I bet you don't sleep tonight!!!!! Our you going to be um....sick...yeah that is the word I was looking for tomorrow evening when work time comes? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
</font>

N0000!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I wish I could but, Friday nights are the nights we do full backups on our Servers and I don't have a choice. I do go in a little later on Friday's reason being is I usually stay passed normal second shift hours to finish the backups. So about 3:00 I'll leave to go to work. I hope they come with the tractor around 10:00am. That would be nice! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bird thanks for the advice I'll just follow what the manual says then and do what you have suggested. Sounds like a pretty good plan. Stewart I'll probably have a learning curve too. So I'll most likely be stopping anyway every 10 minutes, probably to get off and realize what a machine I really have. Watch it pour tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif That'll just tick me right off! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Breaking in New TC #5  
Greg, we run our rotary cutters at constant speed, but by no means are they a constant load. You'll have enough varying conditions that your engine will constantly be under changing loads. Of course you won't feel it because that TC40DA engine has so much torque. I think running a rotary cutter is a great way to break-in a tractor because you exercise the hydraulics and the PTO greartrain.

Just remember to put your engine at idle and engage the PTO slowly until the cutter begins to turn. As it comes up to speed, fully engage the PTO and then increase the engine up to 540 PTO speed. When you get ready to stop, bring the engine to idle and then disengage the PTO. This will put a lot less stress on your tractor and cutter even if you have a slip clutch.

I know... I know..., I'm like a nagging ol' woman. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Okay, I'll shut up now. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Breaking in New TC
No Jim that's good information for me. I listened in on that post awhile back where you all were talking about the proper way to engage the PTO plus last night I read in the manual about it as well so there's no nagging just good reminders and information. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just called the dealer and he said they would be here in about 30 minutes so I'm patiently waiting, yeah right. I'm pacing back and forth looking out the window like a dog waiting on his owner. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Breaking in New TC #7  
TMAC,

I think the break in procedure was written that way to avoid extreme conditions of high load, no load, and constant speed. Light bush hogging with a light cutter should be fine. If you want to err on the side of caution, cut for 30 minutes in a higher gear and max PTO, then a little low on the PTO RPM and in a lower gear for 30 minutes and switch around. Maybe throttle down while making turns over mown areas for good measure.

To me, the perfect break-in is FEL work using only the gas pedal. As long as you avoid lugging, you're doing exactly as the manufacturer intends.

/ Breaking in New TC #8  
Just go out and do it. Run the tractor just like you always will in the future. As far as brush hogging, just slow the RPM's down every so often and slow the tractor up but keep going. It is my understanding this process of changing the RPM's is to get the rings and valve to seat properly. After you slow down some then run it back up to full PTO-RPM.

murph

/ Breaking in New TC
That's what I want to here work her like she's meant to be worked. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks gentlemen for your opinons and help. I'll be tackling that field this weekend with little mercy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif