2007 TC 30 New Holland will not start

/ 2007 TC 30 New Holland will not start #1  

ascar

Tractor
2007 New Holland TC30
Okay on this TC 30 I have checked battery and replaced, replaced safety module, replaced ignition switch, load tested starter, checked all 3 relays I have taken the fuse-able link off the starter and it has continuity. I have also tested the fuses in the fuse box.

the problem that I am having is: I turn the key on oil light and other light come on, starter relay clicks. however when I turn it all the way too start everything goes off turn it back to glow plug everything shuts off. I can boost the battery with another vehicle and the starter will start to click but not turn over. I am thinking a dead short somewhere in the wiring harness
any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the input.

/ 2007 TC 30 New Holland will not start #2  
Have you checked the grounds and connection to the starter?

/ 2007 TC 30 New Holland will not start #3  
Often the NH battery cables corrode inside the terminal. It is hard to see as the cables are pressed into the terminals. It allows enough voltage to go across so everything checks OK until you try to start it. Then it will not allow enough amps to flow to start the tractor. When you try and boost it by putting jumper cables on the terminal it is still sending current through what is possibly a bad connection.

One recent poster drilled a hole and put a screw in the terminal to make better contact with the cable. It started right up. If that worked I would replace the cables.

/ 2007 TC 30 New Holland will not start
yes as well as cleaning battery terminal and checking connection, also checked the starter cable for continuity as well.

I will check the battery cables again, will try that screw on the terminal as well see if that helps.

/ 2007 TC 30 New Holland will not start #6  
Definitely sounds like a battery problem and most likely a ground. Check your battery negative/ground cable for corrosion or a short along the frame of the positive wire where it goes around the radiator, they can rub there and short out against the frame.

/ 2007 TC 30 New Holland will not start #7  
Did you check the ground to the tractor frame. Take it off clean it and put back on.

Did check ground at battery as well as the red cable to the starter no shorts. went and toned the big cable going to starter took it off and bent back and forth never lost tone.

/ 2007 TC 30 New Holland will not start #9  
Did you check the ground from battery to frame. On my Ford 1920 the ground to frame was all rusty cleaned it up and all was well. Your loss of lights and symptoms sound like a bad ground.

/ 2007 TC 30 New Holland will not start #10  
To determine if there is a loss of current flowing through your existing battery ground cable, take your negative jumper cable and place it on the bare negative post of the tractor battery. Connect the other end to a solid clean ground of the tractor- bare metal location. Try starting the tractor. If that doesn't change anything do the same routine with the positive battery post, using your positive jumper cable attach one end to where the positive battery cable connects to the starter (first), and the other end to the positive battery post (last). BE CAREFUl doing this, so the jumper can't arc off other metal when it's energized. Be forewarned that connecting a positive cable to the battery post, you could generate a spark. (Usually when attaching cables negative goes last to prevent sparks). By doing the above you've essentially taken your battery cables OUT of the equation, and will be testing the starting system with 'new' cables.
Report back results, and I suggest not adding any other new or other parts until you know battery cables status.
If nothing changes in either test above, then the problem likely lies elsewhere.
Troubleshooting requires logical systematic tracing of electrical components for best and least costly outcomes. Replacing random items seldom solves complicated issues, as you've already experienced here it seems....

One other thing; how did you 'check' the relays, and 'load test' the starter?
A battery can have a load test; I'm not sure what you mean regarding your starter....

Last edited: