Oil & Fuel 1992 diesel

/ 1992 diesel #1  

T REX

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1720
Ford 1720 1992 diesel

I've been reading that older diesel engines need an additive in the low sulphur fuel to make up for the extra lubrication that the higher sulphur fuel of that era.... Is this true? If so what should I use and how much per gallon???

Last edited:
   / 1992 diesel #2  
Re: Ford 1720 1992 diesel

I've been reading that older diesel engines need an additive in the low sulphur fuel to make up for the extra lubrication that the higher sulphur fuel of that era.... Is this true? If so what should I use and how much per gallon???

I doubt that you need a special additive because the fuel is blended with the proper wear additives.

/ 1992 diesel
Jerry, I think you must be right, not many folks seem to be adding anything extra... I was told several year's ago by a tractor repair shop about this and have wondered about it ever since.... then recently read a post on the oil and fuel forum about adding 2 cycle oil to diesel for use in older engines.... I wasn't sure I understood it and thought I'd put the question out there to see if I could clear it up... Thanks for the reply!!

/ 1992 diesel #4  
heating oil will get very close if not be exactly what old reg. #2 diesel is.

/ 1992 diesel
Rustyiron, Thanks for the reply! I thought heating oil and kerosene were now low sulphur as well???

/ 1992 diesel #6  
I can't say for sure, usually someone that's in the business will respond. I think h/o is about as close as you can get but this "stuff" has been changing so fast since they told us the sky is falling. :laughing:

/ 1992 diesel #7  
Re: Ford 1720 1992 diesel

I mix my diesel at 3.2 ozs. of 2 cycle oil per 5 gallons of diesel fuel (which is the size of my fuel cans). I use that in my 1958 Ford 861-Diesel tractor. I forget how I came to the mix ratio, but I found the info online somewhere and been using it since 2014. I just happened to have a gallon of old 2 cycle marine oil TC-W2 I picked up at a flee market years ago (when I had a boat) that needed to be used up and that is what I been using, and it is is still not empty. The old girl seems to like it.

/ 1992 diesel #8  
heating oil will get very close if not be exactly what old reg. #2 diesel is.

Heating oil is Ultra Low Sulphur as is diesel fuel. Nothing different except the tax structure, additives mixed at the distribution point and dye if we are comparing on-road fuel. Off-road dyed fuel is identical to HHO except for any additive package chosen by the fuel distributor.

/ 1992 diesel
MitchellB, this is what I've been Lookin for.... makes sense to me.... should add some lubrication, hopefully without doing any harm. NOT for newer diesels tho!! Thanks for the reply!!! I wonder how many other folks do this???

/ 1992 diesel
RickB, thanks for confirming the low sulphur in heating oils.....