TC45DA/DX45 Reducing Wheel Spacing

/ TC45DA/DX45 Reducing Wheel Spacing #1  

thisdj1

Tractor
Case Dx 45 Cab
Full disclosure, I'm new to the tractor owning world, but I have been trying to learn everything I can. My DX45 currently has R4 tires that are spaced 78" outside to outside. It seems a little wide to me, and I would like to get them spaced so that a 72" implement will cover the tracks. It seems like a lot folks that own these tractors have just that set up. Also, I do have 2 wheel weights mounted on the inside of each rear tire. So, my question is, is there a way to adjust the spacing of the tires to reduce them to a point that a 72" implement will cover the tracks. I appreciate the help everyone has provided so far!

/ TC45DA/DX45 Reducing Wheel Spacing #2  
The answer to your question is "maybe" or perhaps "probably".

We're gonna need to know what kind of rims and tires you have. A picture would be worth a thousand words in this case.

/ TC45DA/DX45 Reducing Wheel Spacing
dx45.jpg

Will this angle work??
00r0r_4yHeo4UHGcH_600x450.jpg

Or this?

/ TC45DA/DX45 Reducing Wheel Spacing #4  
If you have an owners manual it shows how to change the rims and hubs and to change the wheels from one site to the other to make adjustments for total width. As an example I have a 1700 tractor. In the manual it shows how to adjust the wheels and rims for the following settings.43.3, 45.1, 47.8, 49.6, 52.4, 54.1, 57.1, 58.7 inches. All these adjustments are by changing the hub on the rim and by reversing a wheel or moving a wheel from one side to the other.

/ TC45DA/DX45 Reducing Wheel Spacing #5  
Looking at your top picture, I can see your rear wheels are set to the widest position. If you take the wheel off and turn it around you will have a much shorter spacing, You will need to do both sides and you may have to move each wheel to the other side to keep the tread turning in the same direction as it is. I am not sure what you need to do about the wheel weights but I think they can be on the outside instead of inside the rim. If that change makes the wheels too close you will need to change the hub to rim position. Don't do anything until you get a diagram to show spacing. Wait for more posts from other members, but you get the idea of what can be done. Those wheels with the weights will weigh quite heavy and will be hard to handle. You nay want to get help from a tractor dealer.

Looking at your top picture, I can see your rear wheels are set to the widest position. If you take the wheel off and turn it around you will have a much shorter spacing, You will need to do both sides and you may have to move each wheel to the other side to keep the tread turning in the same direction as it is. I am not sure what you need to do about the wheel weights but I think they can be on the outside instead of inside the rim. If that change makes the wheels too close you will need to change the hub to rim position. Don't do anything until you get a diagram to show spacing. Wait for more posts from other members, but you get the idea of what can be done. Those wheels with the weights will weigh quite heavy and will be hard to handle. You nay want to get help from a tractor dealer.

I have a friend who owns a repair shop where the tractor currently is. I won't try it on my own. I do have the manual and noticed a section for the tires so I will have to read through that. I think I'm going to have to reposition the rim as I'm scared it will make it too narrow to just flip the wheels. I don't want it too narrow, just narrow enough to cover the tracks. Hopefully the manual will make it a little more clear on the process. I'm still all ears for any tips or tricks. Thanks!

/ TC45DA/DX45 Reducing Wheel Spacing #7  
According to the manual page 4-8 the width with R4s dished in is 84.5" and dished out is 68.3". I have mine dished out and 6' implements cover just fine. You should be able to hang the weights either way. The proper way is to swap sides, not turn them around, so the tread is correct.

Attachments

• 100_0913.JPG
    100_0913.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
   / TC45DA/DX45 Reducing Wheel Spacing #8  
If you move the wheels so the disc portion is Outside the bolt lugs on the rim, that might be enough for you. Right now the rim is to the outside of the disc. Help and a wheel jack or crane will be needed.
Most TBN members want to widen their track; someone already did that to yours.
Jim

So it says there are 4 different settings. It appears I am at the widest setting. I know if I swap sides on the wheels it will make it the narrowest that it can be. Does anyone know what the setting is that give you the closest outside to outside track of 72" without going over? I'm just not sure what the other settings are as far as what to do to the wheels. Thanks for the help!