Boomer 1030 tachometer and hour meter stopped working

/ Boomer 1030 tachometer and hour meter stopped working #1  

Boomer1030

Tractor
boomer1030
I have a Boomer 1030 tractor 2010 with a 230gm mower deck with about 200 hours on the meter. I started it up one day and the tach started working but then dropped to zero and the hour meter stopped at the same time. I checked fuses, all ok. Temperture and diesel gauges work. Lights on the dash work. Is there a sensor on the transmission that may be defective??

/ Boomer 1030 tachometer and hour meter stopped working #2  
The tach/ hour meter unit should be cable driven. The cable is on the right side of the engine and connects to the front gear cover housing below the injection pump. It connects to the connection with a knurled lock ring.
Check the cable connections and make sure they are tight.

/ Boomer 1030 tachometer and hour meter stopped working
The tach/ hour meter unit should be cable driven. The cable is on the right side of the engine and connects to the front gear cover housing below the injection pump. It connects to the connection with a knurled lock ring.
Check the cable connections and make sure they are tight.

Thanks, I found the knurled lock ring but it was tight so I took it apart and the cable was snapped off where the cable attaches to the end fitting. Look like I need a new cable, part number SBA385350240. Does the cable slide out of the dash or do I need to take the dash apart to replace it? I may have to because I can not see the broken end of the cable.

Attachments

• heaterbreaker 465.jpg
    heaterbreaker 465.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
OK I removed 4 screws holding dash and was able to lift it up enough to unscrew the cable fitting and push the tach cable out. Just waiting for the part now. Thanks for all your help...

/ Boomer 1030 tachometer and hour meter stopped working #5  
Thanks, I found the knurled lock ring but it was tight so I took it apart and the cable was snapped off where the cable attaches to the end fitting. Look like I need a new cable, part number SBA385350240. Does the cable slide out of the dash or do I need to take the dash apart to replace it? I may have to because I can not see the broken end of the cable.
The end that broke, the cable was crimped to the drive key. The end of the cable at the tach should be just squared. The cable should just pull out of the casing from the tach end.
Your best bet would be to disconnect the cable at the tach and pull the cable out that end.
If you can get just get the drive cable without the casing/housing make sure you lube the cable with thin grease as you slide it into the housing.
Check around and see if you can find some one that still makes tach/speedo cables. If you can, they should be able to make just the drive cable. They would need the old cable and the broke off end for a pattern.
If you have to buy the casing/housing and cable as a assembly make sure the cable is greased.
The lack of lube on the cable will cause it to bind and break. That's why a lot of time if you see a tach needle bouncing the cable is dry and binding or there is a problem in the tach head itself. Make sure your tach turns free and doesn't bind after you disconnect the housing.

The end that broke, the cable was crimped to the drive key. The end of the cable at the tach should be just squared. The cable should just pull out of the casing from the tach end.
Your best bet would be to disconnect the cable at the tach and pull the cable out that end.
If you can get just get the drive cable without the casing/housing make sure you lube the cable with thin grease as you slide it into the housing.
Check around and see if you can find some one that still makes tach/speedo cables. If you can, they should be able to make just the drive cable. They would need the old cable and the broke off end for a pattern.
If you have to buy the casing/housing and cable as a assembly make sure the cable is greased.
The lack of lube on the cable will cause it to bind and break. That's why a lot of time if you see a tach needle bouncing the cable is dry and binding or there is a problem in the tach head itself. Make sure your tach turns free and doesn't bind after you disconnect the housing.

update: I got the new cable and lubed it up with kable-ease, installed it and now my tach is working again. THANKS

/ Boomer 1030 tachometer and hour meter stopped working #7  
update: I got the new cable and lubed it up with kable-ease, installed it and now my tach is working again. THANKS
Glade to hear you got it fixed.