TC55da Power steering stiffness

/ TC55da Power steering stiffness
The pressure gauge was only rated for 600 lbs max. As a result, I think it malfunctioned and actually broke because when I removed it from the tee it was stuck at 600lbs. It was new so I think I am going to have to get one with higher capacity and repeat the procedure. by the way thank you for sticking with me as I poke at this issue and try to fix it. I was told by one New Holland mechanic that those pumps only make about 300 lbs pressure. I wish I could get a couple of pages of the official service Manual to guide me in the trouble shooting. The dealer told me he couldn't give me that for fear of losing his dealership.

With a new pressure gauge teed into the line it measures about 250 lbs in neutral position and builds to 2000lbs at full lock right and left. I wish I knew how to find and test the pressure relief valve. If the pump was bad, I don't think the pressures could be that high.

Last edited:
   / TC55da Power steering stiffness #13  
Sounds like the pump and pressure relief valve are doing their job. Here is the chapter from the service manual for the TC35/40/45DA. It may be of some help.

View attachment Sect41C1.pdf

Thank you, thank you for the service manual download. What a great help to see the trouble shooting and disassembly info. The design is quite similar to my tc55.

The tc35/40/45 tractors have two steering cylinders, my tc55 has only one which attaches to the right hand spindle arm,which, by the way, puts the whole steering load on the right tie rod end causing it to wear sooner than the left one. It seems to me that the single cylinder would also give less assist. Thus the various complaints about weak power steering on the 55. I've been out of town for a few days so have had some time to pour over the service manual in preparation for some further diagnosis. New Holland seems to have placed a strange female fitting on the power steering lines making it necessary to buy a new hyd hose and fittings in order to tee a gauge in. Apparently another way to make it difficult for owner repair or diagnosis.

To anyone who may have looked at my thread about power steering stiffness with my TC55DA I made an unexpected discovery. After all the diagnosis and dead ends without finding a fix, I was stumped. However, I was looking at the telescoping steering wheel feature and discovered it was stuck in the pulled up position and the knob in the center of the steering wheel would not turn. I removed the knob and the nuts holding the wheel on and finally pounded on the steering wheel with a block of wood not to damage the post and noticed that there was some slight movement. Then I gave the post a couple of whacks with a hammer and to my surprise the steering freed up and the power steering worked like it should. The telescoping still wont budge but I am so relieved to have the stiffness fixed the other feature will have to wait till another day. I wonder how many steering motors have been torn apart or replaced unnecessarily.

/ TC55da Power steering stiffness #17  
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for sharing how. Both of mine are froze in the extended position. If they get stiff I know what to do.