Class III Boomer Relays

/ Class III Boomer Relays #1  

tc35dforme

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC35D/16LA
Anyone else have trouble with the relays that serve the glow plugs ?? I had to replace one last season ( inconsistant closure ) and now it appears its going again. I'm getting chattering upon drop out. It's no big deal, since they're easy and cheap to replace. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had trouble.

Maybe its time to go with a higher quality aftermarket relay. The OEM units are Bosch, but I don't know if they're top end.

/ Class III Boomer Relays #2  
I've never had a problem with any of the relays and only blew my glowplug fuse one time. I think I'd be looking at the whole relay coil circuit for cold solder or a bad connection that might have enough contact resistance to cause relay chatter when the coil pulls in. As a suggestion, you might double check the relay by hooking/jumpering 12 volts directly to the coil to see if the relay chatters. If not, I'd look for the cause of the problem somewhere else.

/ Class III Boomer Relays
I do intend on fiddling around with the meter to see if anything is apparent. I can't say I find NH's relay system ideal. The glow plug circuit uses three relays...one for the plugs, one that acts as the timer, and one just for the lamp. Seems like a more efficient means should be available. I often wonder about the dust and vibration that these relay blocks are subjected to.

I'm all for replaceable components, but a solid state critter to manage these functions as well as the safety switch interlocks may have been a good option. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Class III Boomer Relays #4  
I would check the relay socket.

Soundguy

<font color="blue">I'm all for replaceable components, but a solid state critter to manage these functions as well as the safety switch interlocks may have been a good option </font>

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Crow again for dinner !!!!!

After a bit of troubleshooting, it appears the solid state glow plug timer module is to blame.

The relays can't pull in because the timer module never kicks allowing them to !!!

Oh well...time for a trip to the parts counter !!

/ Class III Boomer Relays #6  
Glad you found the culprit. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Murphy's Law says that if there are two parts, it's always the most expensive one that will fail. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Class III Boomer Relays #7  
That lamp timer relay is common to most 20 series compacts, and MC and CM mowers. They fail regularly enough that we carry them on the service trucks. On CM's and 20 series, when the timer relay fails, the glowplugs still get power, but the indicator lamp is inop. TC's lose glowplug function when the timer relay fails. Progress.

Nothing like quality control /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I should have known when the dealer was out of stock....part arrives later this week !

/ Class III Boomer Relays #9  
Can you tell me where the glow plug relays are located? I have the same problem but I don't want the tractor down all day while I take things apart looking for the glow plug circuits so I've been living with it. Thanks.

The electrical substation is located to the left side of the steering column behind the shroud under the dash. You need to remove the two bolts below the steering column and then access the two bolts from the engine compartment behind the muffler. When you remove the shroud, the relays will be right there. You need a map to know whats what. I'll get a sketch together and PM you if you need it.

If I'm lucky, Jinman will read this and scan the page from the service book...hint hint /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I don't have scanner capabilities at this time.