PTO grinding

/ PTO grinding #1  

seanbutler

Tractor
Ford 1900
Hi all,

I bought my Ford 1900 about a year ago, but only recently got a flail mower and used the PTO for the first time. According to the user's manual, it looks like the clutch should stop the PTO from spinning when you're engaging the PTO. But this doesn't happen, and instead the PTO just grinds horribly when I try to engage it. I can't engage it unless the rpms are really low, and then when I do get it engaged, it tend to disengage on its own after a few seconds. I suspect the gears have been damaged by that grinding.

So my workaround for now has been to turn the tractor off, then engage the PTO and wire it in place, then turn the engine on. It doesn't seem to put too much strain on the engine to start it up with the PTO engaged and connected to a 5' flail mower, but what if I try this with a larger attachment like a square baler? I'm worried this will be too much for the starter. Any thoughts about whether my workaround is a bad idea for larger attachments, or of a better fix to this problem?

Thanks,
Sean

/ PTO grinding #2  
Yes you better fix the problem and you better find out why you have it in the first place.

SR

/ PTO grinding #3  
Your workaround is just doing additional damage. Diesel starters are exensive. Get yourself a shop manual and see if you can adjust the pto clutch. If you can't,the clutch will have to be replaced. It sound's like pervious owner was also forcing pto gear and damaged something. Your manual should give you some idea what it will take to fix engagement.

/ PTO grinding #4  
You need to adjust the clutch it's easy and simple. Do a search for it you will find it. If not send me a private message I'll walk you through it.

/ PTO grinding
So I adjusted the free play on the clutch. It needed tightening up, but it didn't fix the problem with the PTO. I noticed that there are two bars connected to the clutch pedal - one goes towards the front of the tractor, and is the one I tightened up for the free play. It moves fine when I depress the clutch.

The other one goes towards the rear of the tractor, and is connected to the tractor body very near the engagement lever for the PTO. It doesn't move when I depress the clutch. Is this the PTO clutch? Is it supposed to move when I press the clutch pedal? Could this be the source of the problem?

I've attached a photo of the bar heading towards the back of the tractor. It's looking up underneath the tractor towards the rear.

20170830_162927_HDR.jpg

/ PTO grinding #6  
Yes, that's it. You should be able to adjust it so the PTO will engage without grinding. You have a 2 stage clutch. Depress a little and the drive clutch dis-engages, depress further and the PTO clutch disengages.
If it still grinds then the PTO clutch and or gears may be damaged.

I had a 1710 that had the same set up.

/ PTO grinding
Any idea what might be stopping the PTO clutch from moving when I press all the way down on the clutch pedal?

/ PTO grinding #8  
I'm betting you just have a sticking clutch plate, I've seen in happen quite often in tractors.

It would have to be pretty bad before I'd worry about it too much...

SR

/ PTO grinding #9  
How much free play do you have in the pedal? Also the rod that goes to the rear on my 1920 does not move either. I have about 1035 hours on my tractor. I have to adjust it once a year to stop it grinding. I got the tractor with 950 hours on it. I think I might need a clutch soon. But it is 24 years old and has lived outside.

/ PTO grinding
I used to have maybe 2 inches of free play, but adjusted it down to about 1 inch. Is that rod going back supposed to move? Do you have trouble getting the PTO engaged? Is your PTO grinding? Are you adjusting the free play to stop it?

Mine has about 1250 hours.