1510 complete service and inspection

/ 1510 complete service and inspection #21  
Interesting.

While you are at it, I would suggest a quick visual check of the frame rails for any cracks.

My 1310 had previously been used mostly for hauling wet horse manure (no kidding) and both flat-bar frame rails had cracks in-between the engine and the front axle.

They were easy to repair and have held up well since.

:cool:

/ 1510 complete service and inspection
Arto, my 1210 had cracks in the same spot. I was able to weld them up, and so far so good.

IMG_1812.JPG

I was having a problem with slow engine rotation/starting which is why I'm tearing this thing apart to begin with.

Pried off the end cap to reveal the C clip.

IMG_1813.JPG

Remove the two long through bolts and it falls apart like this. Doesn't look very bad at all, was either replaced at some point or has low hours.

IMG_1814.JPG

Cleaned everything with a 3m pad and this contact cleaner. Worked great!

IMG_1815.JPG

Brushes could probably use replacing, but there is quite a bit of life left.

IMG_1816.JPG

Greased the end bushings and starter gear shaft. Put it all back together in reverse order. The solenoid lever arm was a challenge and took me an hour to get back in the correct way. But, I fired her up on the test bench and everything goes whiz bang...so I guess I did something right.

/ 1510 complete service and inspection #24  
I see, maybe the frame rail cracks are more common issue then what I had thought.

They would be relatively easy to replace by little thicker or perhaps wider flat-bar if ever needed.

Was a frustrating night...

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

Got the fenders off, but the left fender was pretty badly bent down. It had snapped off one of the mount bolts and bent the mounts. Spent an hour bending them back into shape and removing the broken bolt/tapping threads.

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

Got the other side off, but fought with some rusted up hardware for awhile. For a tractor that spent most of its life inside, I'm having lots of trouble getting things unstuck.

IMG_1823.JPG

Anyone have an idea where to get some cheap shifter boots? Both of mine are cracked and Messicks is expensive. Just don't want water to get down in the trans in the off chance I'm caught in the rain or something.

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

Here is where the tools started flying. The three point stabilizer turnbuckles were froze up. So I pulled them off and soaked them with penetrating oil and heated them with a map torch. They have been soaking in penetrating oil for a few weeks, so I figured they would come loose without a fight...wrong. Ended up breaking the threaded rod off in the turnbuckle, dang it!

/ 1510 complete service and inspection #28  
~... Ended up breaking the threaded rod off in the turnbuckle, dang it!

Sorry to hear that.

I ended up buying one of these from NH dealer many years ago, before I had oxy/acet torch set.

PS. I would recommend oxygen / acetylene torch set for your wish list. Good friend of mine gave me a used professional set long time ago and it's been very handy tool to have.

Yes, a proper torch would have helped in this situation for sure.

Spending some quality time with the wire wheel grinder today removing rust and such.

IMG_1826.JPG

The rims and fenders painted today.

IMG_1827.JPG

Wire wheel/flapper disc all the rust off, straightened out dents best I could, removed as many parts as I could without breaking anything. Wiped down with mineral spirits and acetone, and finally taped off.

IMG_1828.JPG

First coat of rustoleum rusty metal primer, shot with an hvlp gun.

IMG_1829.JPG

Final coat of rustoleum almond. Was sure to tape off a spot for the electrical ground to travel on the fenders. Nothing worse than getting everything back together and finding out your lights don't work...lol.