TC40DA - A load of hydraulics!

/ TC40DA - A load of hydraulics! #1  

Hieronymous

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40DA, Sisis Quadraplay, John Deere Aercore 1500, Flail Mower
I recently changed the hydraulic oil on my tractor as I'd noticed that the Aercore was dropping after switching the tractor off. Didn't change the filter, unfortunately. However, since changing the oil I'm still having issues. I've read a number of posts/threads regarding this and it looks as though air entry is favourite.

Since the oil change the low range selection is very 'spongy' and not positive at all, and the 540E doesn't completely engage (though that could be the linkage). I also noticed that when I had the Aercore in the air on a few revs that, after a while, it started 'bouncing' (intermittent pressure?)

Obviously the first thing to do is change the filter and then check for anywhere where air may be entering (haven't spotted any leaks) and take it from there but I wondered if anyone has any ideas/experience about this.

As an aside, when I changed the oil I drained from both plugs at, more or less, the same time. I got to wondering if, perhaps, I should do them one at a time and, if so, in which order. Any advice?

/ TC40DA - A load of hydraulics! #2  
Maybe I am a dummy, but what is "Aercore" and "540E". I own a TC40DA and do not recognize those terms.

/ TC40DA - A load of hydraulics!
Maybe I am a dummy, but what is "Aercore" and "540E"? I own a TC40DA and do not recognize those terms.

There's no reason why you should recognise "Aercore" as it's a John Deere implement for aerating my soccer pitch.

John Deere Aercore 15 and John Deere 372 Compact - Solid Tines - YouTube

I don't know what differences there may be between American and European models but on my TC40DA there are two selections for the PTO. 540E for economy and a straightforward 540rpm.

Finally got round to changing the filters. There seemed to be an excessive amount of oil in there for some reason. Anyway, the low range selection is much more positive now but I fear that I may still have issues re the 3 point hitch. After switching the tractor off the implement on the 3PH dropped albeit very slowly which, I suppose, is to be expected since there's no longer any pressure. However, I'm sure that, before I started having problems, implements would stay in the air. I have yet to use anything requiring the PTO so I don't know about that

I also noticed bubbles in the oil on the dipstick so I'm hoping it's just a case of it needs bleeding out.

When I come to use something in anger will be the real test.

/ TC40DA - A load of hydraulics! #5  
The inlet line to the HST pump is after the filters, and is actually under vacuum. This can aerate the oil, causing some trouble. Does your hst squeal. That is a main symptom. It is possible that the main pump has this issue, as well?

The inlet line to the HST pump is after the filters, and is actually under vacuum. This can aerate the oil, causing some trouble. Does your hst squeal? That is a main symptom. It is possible that the main pump has this issue, as well?

Thank you for your reply. I believe the HST does squeal in high range as well as, initially, being sluggish before working properly. Does this sound like a symptom of what you describe?

/ TC40DA - A load of hydraulics! #7  
yep. There may be a leak on one of the suction lines, or it is possible that the filter isn't on tight. All those lines are under vacuum.

Thank you.