Ford 4000 4cylinder Diesel - Clutch not working and grinding gears

/ Ford 4000 4cylinder Diesel - Clutch not working and grinding gears #1  

dlynes

Tractor
Ford 4000 Diesel
Hello,

I am new to the tractor world as I just bought a 1960's Ford 4000 Diesel, 4cylinder. I am not sure how many hours are on it nor do I know how many owners there have been. Upon delivery I drove it around the block and it drove well. The second drive, the clutch would not engage and I caught **** forcing it into gear as the gear grinded. After mowing for almost two hours, the clutch worked enough to shift and park it but I did not continue to test the clutch or shift. Yes I do know the tractor does not have a sequential gear box but I know very little more. I also regret that I have not checked the oil level yet but I did adjust the pedal and it did not help at all.

What suggestions and advice would you recommend as I start trying to troubleshoot this?

Thanks so much!

PS I am not a mechanic but I am a gear head and I enjoy wrenching myself.

/ Ford 4000 4cylinder Diesel - Clutch not working and grinding gears #2  
I would say first to purchase to good owners shop manual. I just finished splitting my tractor thinking I had a clutch problem and it ended up being the clutch rod. I got some bad information from a ex-tractor mechanic and I split mine for no reason. If you have the luxury of having more time on your hands to wait for some others to read your post you will be better off waiting to see if anyone else has the same or equivalent tractor that can give you some good pointers. Good luck with your issue. I will check back on this post to see what others suggest.

/ Ford 4000 4cylinder Diesel - Clutch not working and grinding gears
I would say first to purchase to good owners shop manual. I just finished splitting my tractor thinking I had a clutch problem and it ended up being the clutch rod. I got some bad information from a ex-tractor mechanic and I split mine for no reason. If you have the luxury of having more time on your hands to wait for some others to read your post you will be better off waiting to see if anyone else has the same or equivalent tractor that can give you some good pointers. Good luck with your issue. I will check back on this post to see what others suggest.

Bobby,

thanks so much. I read your thread before I posted. Can you please tell me more about your issue and how you fixed it? were you missing your clutch rod? what were your symptoms?

/ Ford 4000 4cylinder Diesel - Clutch not working and grinding gears #4  
Hello,

I am new to the tractor world as I just bought a 1960's Ford 4000 Diesel, 4cylinder. I am not sure how many hours are on it nor do I know how many owners there have been. Upon delivery I drove it around the block and it drove well. The second drive, the clutch would not engage and I caught **** forcing it into gear as the gear grinded. After mowing for almost two hours, the clutch worked enough to shift and park it but I did not continue to test the clutch or shift. Yes I do know the tractor does not have a sequential gear box but I know very little more. I also regret that I have not checked the oil level yet but I did adjust the pedal and it did not help at all.

What suggestions and advice would you recommend as I start trying to troubleshoot this?

Thanks so much!

PS I am not a mechanic but I am a gear head and I enjoy wrenching myself.

Need to know if your tractor has a four speed (non live PTO) or 5 speed (live PTO) transmission.

Four speed tractors have single clutch assemblies while five speed transmissions have dual clutches to facilitate live PTO.

In any event, it sounds like your clutch is not releasing due to misadjustment or other issues.

Time is limited so you may wish to post your questions here: Ford Tractors Discussion Board.

SDT

/ Ford 4000 4cylinder Diesel - Clutch not working and grinding gears #5  
Bobby,

thanks so much. I read your thread before I posted. Can you please tell me more about your issue and how you fixed it? were you missing your clutch rod? what were your symptoms?

I was backing my tractor up and then the pedal just slammed to the floor. Then the tractor shut down. It was after Hurricane Irma came through so I had to wait a few days for the ground to dry up and I then pulled the tractor into the barn. I looked at the linkage for the pedal and saw the rod that goes from the pedal to the clutch bar was broken. So, I ordered the rod I thought was the one for my tractor, but it was not the right one, so 2 guys came over and said I had to split it. After that you have read the rest of my situation. I put my trust into a guy I thought knew what he was talking about and I got burnt. I never had any issues with slipping or grinding it was literally just all of the sudden the pedal hit the floor. simple 10 min fix cost me weeks of aggravation. If I had been more patience and waited to talk to the salesmen from Messicks I am pretty sure I would have ordered the right part from the start.