3-Point Hitch Lift Arm Ball Retainer Spring - Ford 4000

/ Lift Arm Ball Retainer Spring - Ford 4000 #1  

nolarefugee

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 135, Ford 4000
Does anyone have a clear picture or diagram of how these things are supposed to be installed? :confused:

They're for a 73 Ford 4000.

LiftArmBallRetainer.jpg

Here's what my lift arms look like, they could have something missing where these are to attach, but I couldn't find good example of how they go on.

LiftArm.jpg

/ Lift Arm Ball Retainer Spring - Ford 4000 #2  
That's the way my lift arms look.

/ Lift Arm Ball Retainer Spring - Ford 4000
Without the springs in there, the balls fall out. I'm trying to see if anyone has a picture of how they go on to hold the ball in it's socket.

/ Lift Arm Ball Retainer Spring - Ford 4000 #4  
another simple way to hold them in is just get a string and tie them in. problem solved. i use a string a lot and mine has the clips that work.

/ Lift Arm Ball Retainer Spring - Ford 4000 #5  
After a decade or two of wear on the sockets the clips are a waste of money and provide only false security. Put the balls in the toolbox when no implement is attached to the 3PT.

/ Lift Arm Ball Retainer Spring - Ford 4000 #6  
I've changed the ones in the 3910 once. That protrusion to the right of the lynch pin is where they go. There should be a hole in the top side and the bottom side of it. The holes are probably full of rust and mud. Clean the holes out really good. Getting the ends of the clips into the holes is a PIA. The new clips lasted about two years, and broke. Now I just do as RickB said, remove the balls and put them in the tool box.

After a decade or two of wear on the sockets the clips are a waste of money and provide only false security. Put the balls in the toolbox when no implement is attached to the 3PT.

That's what I normally do, but have forgotten before and lost one.

I've changed the ones in the 3910 once. That protrusion to the right of the lynch pin is where they go. There should be a hole in the top side and the bottom side of it. The holes are probably full of rust and mud. Clean the holes out really good. Getting the ends of the clips into the holes is a PIA. The new clips lasted about two years, and broke. Now I just do as RickB said, remove the balls and put them in the tool box.

I'll take a look and see if they're still functional, the springs were not very expensive so thought I'd give it a shot.