Oil & Fuel NH 1030 electric fuel pump

/ NH 1030 electric fuel pump #1  

Old Chief 61

Tractor
New Holland TN65D, New Holland 1030, John Deere X595
Hi all. Got a problem with the electric fuel pump on my 2008 NH 1030 Boomer. Does anyone have experience replacing the pump? What happened last week was I went out to start the tractor to blow snow. Turned on the key & heard the electric pump start like normal. I moved the key to the preheat position & the pump quit. I tried it again, & the pump stalled, but restarted after I put the key into the preheat position again. I started the tractor to let it warm up. When I came back out a few minutes later, the tractor had quit. The fuel pump wasn't running. Does this pump have a capacitor? I can't find too much specs on the fuel pump and the cost of a new pump is over $200.00, which seems pretty steep to me. Also on the off chance, I'm going to replace the fuel filter in case it's clogged. What I'd like to find out is how anyone replaced this fuel pump and what is necessary to remove for access. Also looking for gph & fuel pressure of the pump so I can shop around for a replacement. Thank you!

/ NH 1030 electric fuel pump #2  
Loosen the fuel line that GOES INTO the injection pump & turn the key on..
Chances are the fuel got gelled & shut it down..
With the lines loosened, you'll be able to SEE if its pumping or not..
ALSO, check for voltage at the fuel pump.. you may have just blown a fuse if she was workin to hard trying to get "gelled fuel" thru it..??
I cant find a picture of the injection pump.. IF its the 3 cyl?? the pump requires less than 10 psi to run..

/ NH 1030 electric fuel pump
Clogged fuel filter! Looked like I was getting some bacteria growth (& water) in the fuel tank. That sometimes happens with off-road #2 diesel. Removed the filter, drained the tank, replaced the filter, added some diesel biocide, then refilled with fresh, undyed, #2 diesel and a dollop of Diesel 9*1*1 for good measure. Seems the fuel pump was pulling a vacuum against the clogged fuel filter. Ran the tractor for 1 hour; didn't miss a beat. Glad I only had to spend $10.00 instead of $200.00+. The tractor had only have 88 hours on the fuel filter that I replaced in late 2015.

/ NH 1030 electric fuel pump #4  
This is a fall/winter ritual with my little TC26DA. There is usually just a little water in the filter and it freezes up. Change or clean filter, bleed the fuel a little to get any water out of the bottom of the tank, and it's usually good to go for the winter if I keep the tank reasonably full. The fuel filter on the TC26DA is so small and the engine doesn't throw enough heat to really warm it up in cold weather. I would imagine that your tractor has a larger filter and bowl, so it's probably not an every winter thing for you. We had a high of 9 degrees today, and I started the tractor just to warm it up a little. Needed a booster box to do it. I use the anti-gel stuff in my fuel, but it doesn't stop a little ice from forming.

/ NH 1030 electric fuel pump
It's a lesson learned too often for me. Have a problem & go straight to the worst case scenario. What threw me at first, was the fuel pump stalling when I was trying to start the tractor; then the tractor shutting down after I got it started. After I posted the original thread, I was thinking about it and realized that a plugged fuel filter could be the problem. The 1030 is still running good. I had to plug the heater in for about an hour to start it; the Shiabura diesel won't start below 20 degrees with only glow plugs. The fuel filter on the 1030 is a small in-line filter located over the left rear axle under the fuel tank. The filter was plugged with sludge (bacterial growth from water mixed in the dyed off-road #2 diesel fuel I was using) Lessons learned once again:
#1 Change the fuel filter yearly. (because it is a small filter - not the bigger canister fuel filters on my TN)
#2 Add diesel biocide to the tractor fuel tank periodically to prevent bacterial growth in the tank.
#3 Put an anti-gel (diesel 9*1*1) in the fuel when weather starts getting cold.
I'll have to start following your ritual. Thanks!

/ NH 1030 electric fuel pump #6  
Why is it, people only change their filters when theres a problem??
A couple of 20 dollar bills spent 2 times a year would save a LARGE number of headaches..
& me being an injection pump rebuilder, I see this day in & day out.. & in MOST cases, the whole situation could have been avoided w/ a 20.00 bill, instead of the 400.00-800.00 bill you got FROM ME...
I've got 2 pumps on my work bench RIGHT NOW that could have been still running had the customers spent their money on "filters''
1 pump is going to cost 1080.00 & the other is 880.00!!! That woulda bought ALOT of filters.. Just something to think about fellas..