Shifting - 1990 Ford 545C

/ Shifting - 1990 Ford 545C #1  

farmtime

Tractor
Kubota L3710 & Ford 545C
Trying to track down a operating manual for a Ford 545C. In the meantime can someone help?

It has a shift lever for High and Low Range and a shift lever for 4 gear speeds. Located between the legs.

On the Steering Column a F-N-R shift lever, with a button on the end of the Stalk.

Guys, how do I de-clutch, to move to the next gear?

It's placarded with Speed and Gear Selection.

What gear and range do you recommend starting off in, with no bucket load and a flat prepared surface?

Thanks, Farmtime.

/ Shifting - 1990 Ford 545C #2  
42034530 Is the op manual for the 345C, 445C, and 545C. Should run about $20 US plus shipping. Order at any New Holland dealer, or visit the NH website and locate the 800 number to place a phone order.

/ Shifting - 1990 Ford 545C #4  
I test drove a 545D a few years ago. The tractor uses a torque converter instead of a clutch. There should be a pedal or large button on the left floorboard which when depressed, dumps the fluid from the converter allowing you to change gears. Release the button and select forword or reverse as needed without the need to depress the button or even stop to change directions. The button on the end of the lever is for torque converter lock-up to maintain constant speed for mowing etc. This is one of the best shuttle transmissions I have seen. No hyd. clutch packs to wear out. Hope this helps you get out and play uh, I mean work.

/ Shifting - 1990 Ford 545C
Gents,

Thanks for the help.

Firewallit, this confirms what I received from the local dealer.
Did my test runs today at the yard. Ferrying the beast to the playground on Thursday.

Waiting for the Operating Manual.

I'm new at this, but was impressed how tight it turns and manuvers for a Utility Tractor.

Appreciated, Farmtime.