1720 Plow Size

/ 1720 Plow Size
Our NH 2210 is comparable to the 1720. Ours has the R4 tires, and it will plow with an old Ford 2 bottom 12" plow with no problem.

Thanks for the info. Mine has the AG tires so I might be able to get by with a double after all.

/ 1720 Plow Size #12  
I owned a 1720 for 10 years. It was a great tractor. Your tractor will handle a single 16 fine. It will handle 2-12's in great soil conditions. In clay it will struggle. You have around 20 drawbar HP. You need one drawbar HP per inch of plow. That rule of thumb is accurate to a fault. Front wheel assist helps somewhat. 2-10's would be perfect but hard to find.

/ 1720 Plow Size #13  
HST is the optimum transmission for plowing with a CUT.
The one I ended up with didn't have HST.

Have you used a turning plow before? Fairly long learning curve for this "art."
Been a long time but yes.

What implement do you have to smooth plow furrows? Disc Harrow?
Nothing yet but a Troy Bilt horse. Hoping to find a rotary tiller also.

How much ground will you work?
Not that much, garden spot about 100' x 70'

I would forget the turning plow and use exclusively a PTO powered roto-tiller, which usually will till 8" deep on second pass. (You will have to research if your gear tractor will move slow enough for a roto-tiller to be effective.)

MORE:

turning plow vs tiller - Google Search

Another implement suggestion would be a $800 four or five tine Field Cultivator. Three draws in MOIST SOIL and some hand raking and you will be ready to plant.

You may need to purchase a five tine, remove one tine the first year when breaking the ground, then return to five tines in subsequent years.

MORE: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/339095-dirt-dog-all-purpose-plow.html?highlight=

VIDEO: How to Use a Ripper / Field Cultivator - Gardening Series - YouTube

VENDERS: 1) Fred Cain 5 Shank Field Cultivator Ripper Tillage

2) Chisel Plows

Buckeye Tractor specializes in gardening implements for light tractors:
BUCKEYE TRACTOR "GARDEN SERIES": http://www.buctraco.com/9 Online Catalog Garden Series/GardenSeriesIntroduction.htm

Attachments

• DSC00360.jpg
    DSC00360.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
   / 1720 Plow Size #14  
Another vote for the tiller. You should be able to run a 5 footer easy. Tractor data shows a 4 range transmission, I am sure you can go slow enough. I do 3 gardens about that size, used to plow,disc,and drag. Got a tiller for my TC33, sold the plow and disc and never looked back. Go with the tiller.
Bill

/ 1720 Plow Size #15  
You would be better off with a single bottom plow, especially if you have any rocks as a single bottom plow rolls the rocks out of the soil better since it does not trap the rock so to speak like on a double bottom plow.

/ 1720 Plow Size
Great information guys. Sounds like I may have multiple options. I have never used a rotary tiller or the cultivator so really am not familiar with what those two options bring to the table. Sounds like I may not need the plow after all but need to look for other pieces.

I really appreciate all the feedback.

/ 1720 Plow Size #17  
If you can find a 1X16" plow reasonable I would jump on it. It will work good on that tractor, and with the small plot you're talking you can just plow it one-way and end up with only 1 dead furrow at the field edge. The older OEM plows are built better, but be sure you can get wear parts, like shares. It is almost impossible to find 12" shares for Dearborn/Ford, Oliver, MF, etc., that is why I say stick with a 1X16" used plow. DO NOT buy a used plow that requires shares that have to be sharpened in a forge by a blacksmith. You want the blade type throw-away shares similar to Oliver Raydex, IH Super Chief, etc, not the heavy, long nosed ones.

As others have said, if you are considering a 3 point rototiller be sure the tractor can run slow enough ground speed at high RPM .

Last edited:
   / 1720 Plow Size #18  
I may have multiple options. I have never used a rotary tiller or the cultivator so really am not familiar with what those two options bring to the table.

A garden CULTIVATOR is light weight, low cost. Suitable for use in soil in good tilth. Tines are NOT spring protected. Designed to cultivate shallow; 4" to 6". Primary task is weed disruption in row crops. Usually pulled by 15-horsepower to 30-horsepower tractors.

A FIELD CULTIVATOR is medium weight and spring protected. It is a lightly built version of a spring-protected CHISEL PLOW but designed mostly for secondary cultivation in fields down to 12". However, will rip most moist loam soil, under most conditions, when number of tines and tractor traction are balanced. (I have NOT had success ripping hard packed pastures.) Available with 3-tines to 20-tines for tractors from 20-horsepower to 80 horsepower. Often used for soil aeration. A soil conditioner NOT a weed cultivator. (A good choice for game food plots.)

A CHISEL PLOW is a heavy implement used for primary cultivation. It is a conservation plow, which leaves 15% of surface vegetation intact to prevent wind and water erosion. Developed during the 1930's 'dust bowl' era in the plains states, to alleviate wind and water erosion. Usually pulled by 100-horsepower+ tractors.

Last edited:
   / 1720 Plow Size
If you can find a 1X16" plow reasonable I would jump on it. It will work good on that tractor, and with the small plot you're talking you can just plow it one-way and end up with only 1 dead furrow at the field edge. The older OEM plows are built better, but be sure you can get wear parts, like shares. It is almost impossible to find 12" shares for Dearborn/Ford, Oliver, MF, etc., that is why I say stick with a 1X16" used plow. DO NOT buy a used plow that requires shares that have to be sharpened in a forge by a blacksmith. You want the blade type throw-away shares similar to Oliver Raydex, IH Super Chief, etc, not the heavy, long nosed ones.

As others have said, if you are considering a 3 point rototiller be sure the tractor can run slow enough ground speed at high RPM .

Thanks for this info, very informative and much I wouldn't have known to look for. Guess I'll just see what shows up on the used market. Definitely hope to pick up a tiller. The tractor came with a 6 ft finish mower that I didn't really need so hoping to sell / buy / trade for the tiller at some point.

/ 1720 Plow Size
A garden CULTIVATOR is light weight, low cost. Suitable for use in soil in good tilth. Tines are NOT spring protected. Designed to cultivate shallow; 4" to 6". Primary task is weed disruption in row crops. Usually pulled by 15-horsepower to 30-horsepower tractors.

A FIELD CULTIVATOR is medium weight and spring protected. It is a lightly built version of a spring-protected CHISEL PLOW but designed mostly for secondary cultivation in fields down to 12". However, will rip most moist loam soil, under most conditions, when number of tines and tractor traction are balanced. (I have NOT had success ripping hard packed pastures.) Available with 3-tines to 20-tines for tractors from 20-horsepower to 80 horsepower. Often used for soil aeration. A soil conditioner NOT a weed cultivator. (A good choice for game food plots.)

A CHISEL PLOW is a heavy implement used for primary cultivation. It is a conservation plow, which leaves 15% of surface vegetation intact to prevent wind and water erosion. Developed during the 1930's 'dust bowl' era in the plains states, to alleviate wind and water erosion. Usually pulled by 100-horsepower+ tractors.

Thanks jeff for all your information and links. The ripper / cultivator that you send the youtube video link on was impressive indeed. Very good reading in all the other links as well. It appears you are well versed in the operation of these pieces, much appreciated. One of the things I really like about this site; there can be more than one "right" answer and you get to tap in on the knowledge from those that have "already done that".