PTO Generator on 1920 Diesel,,,,

/ PTO Generator on 1920 Diesel,,,, #1  

lee157

Tractor
Ford 1920 Diesel 4x4
Anyone running a PTO generator on their 1920 Ford diesel tractor?

Was curious on fuel consumption and also if any issues came up along the way,,

THANKS!

/ PTO Generator on 1920 Diesel,,,, #2  
   / PTO Generator on 1920 Diesel,,,,
THANKS!!

So is your info first hand, as in you have one setup?

Thanks for the info link, I still have a brochure from when it was new and I have a shop manual for it,,
Had been thinking of getting a PTO generator and that consumption is a little more than I had hoped for but of course I doubt I would ever be pulling much over 8k anyway,,
I have an old 5k CCK Onan that pretty much takes care of me but can't run AC if we loose power in summer,,
We don't have gas here so total electric,, in winter I have to choose to have hot water or heat in home,, can generally have both by switching between them since the water heater retains heat very well

Would be nice to not have the minor issues though,,

/ PTO Generator on 1920 Diesel,,,, #4  
With all the losses, it takes 2 pto hp per each kw of the generator...

Many times I power my 15kw pto gen with my 12.5 pto HP tractor, I can pull a bit over 6kw out of the generator, and that's plenty to run my whole house...

SR

/ PTO Generator on 1920 Diesel,,,, #5  

Many times I power my 15kw pto gen with my 12.5 pto HP tractor, I can pull a bit over 6kw out of the generator, and that's plenty to run my whole house...

SR

The rule of thumb is 2HP per Kw to allow some reserve HP for motor starting . And to reduce the chance of over hearing with continuous max power .
12pto HP will carry up to 8Kw electrical load , but is not recommended for continuous use .

/ PTO Generator on 1920 Diesel,,,, #6  

SR

The rule of thumb is 2HP per Kw to allow some reserve HP for motor starting . And to reduce the chance of over heating with continuous max power .
12pto HP will carry up to 8Kw electrical load , but is not recommended for continuous use .

/ PTO Generator on 1920 Diesel,,,, #7  
THANKS!!

So is your info first hand, as in you have one setup?

Thanks for the info link, I still have a brochure from when it was new and I have a shop manual for it,,
Had been thinking of getting a PTO generator and that consumption is a little more than I had hoped for but of course I doubt I would ever be pulling much over 8k anyway,,
I have an old 5k CCK Onan that pretty much takes care of me but can't run AC if we loose power in summer,,
We don't have gas here so total electric,, in winter I have to choose to have hot water or heat in home,, can generally have both by switching between them since the water heater retains heat very well

Would be nice to not have the minor issues though,,

it's fairly easy to do the book hp to kw projections, compare to the rule of thumb projections, then look at engine load fuel usage. After all, fuel usage will directly depend upon electrical load being used.

I had a 1920 years back, and yes it ran a 12.5kw genny a few times, but i never recorded fuel usage at average load. nowadays a 1955 ford 950 runs the generator as needed.

/ PTO Generator on 1920 Diesel,,,, #8  
Nebraska tractor test will show the fuel consumption at 25.40,75 and 100% load . At 25-50% load , diesel fuel efficiency in HP per pound of fuel per hour is lousy compared to 100% output .

/ PTO Generator on 1920 Diesel,,,, #9  
One thing to keep in mind is, the limiting factor is often the amps, not the wattage.

/ PTO Generator on 1920 Diesel,,,, #10  
amps, wattage. votls are inter-related