tc 40d floppy steering wheel

/ tc 40d floppy steering wheel #1  

daffyduk

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC 40D, JD 630
The steering wheel (not the extension) adjustment won't lock into place. It just moves very smoothly from the almost vertical position to down against the seat. Any help appreciated.....
Thanks
Gene

/ tc 40d floppy steering wheel #3  
I just got used to it with my TC29DA.

I believe that it is a relatively straight forward easy fix; but my experience with relatively straight forward easy fixes has proven otherwise.

/ tc 40d floppy steering wheel
Ok.....I just read several solutions and understand.......but...how do you remove the cowling?

I just got used to it with my TC29DA.

I believe that it is a relatively straight forward easy fix; but my experience with relatively straight forward easy fixes has proven otherwise.

I truly know the feeling.

/ tc 40d floppy steering wheel #6  
A couple of bolts some well hidden secure the split cowling.

/ tc 40d floppy steering wheel #7  
The shock part # is 86522914 and both ebay and amazon show hits from entering that part #. 50 bucks and up, some free shipping. I think at one time, I think I was able to match this with a similar shock on a Polaris side by side so you might check with them if you have a local dealer. I would also consider using a bolt with a locknut for the bottom attach, instead of trying to drive the pin in.

Thank you folks...........A friend introduced me to a product called CorrosionX. I sprayed it at the pin on the shock and slapped the lever a few times and nothing. Went into the house and had dinner and went back to the barn to try to figure out something else. I pressed the lever and move the wheel and it locked in place....moved it again and it locked in place. Not sure why or what but I'm finding our where to buy CorrosionX.....probably mostly dumb luck!
Thanks all,
Gene

c