Ford 5000 Oil Level & PTO Questions

/ Ford 5000 Oil Level & PTO Questions #1  

El_Gato

Have a Ford 5000 and need to find out what the proper transmission oil level is. It is an "English" model. The generic tractor manual says the oil plug next to the shifting levers should have a dipstick on it. Mine dosen't. The local dealer told me to look for a plug on the side of the transmission about the level of the running board. No luck there either. Help!

The other problem is with the PTO. I have not had the tractor too long and have used it mostly for brush hogging, moving large hay bales and front end loader work. I am now using a disk mower and hay baler. When I engage the PTO hooked up to these it does not turn most of the time unless I have the RPMs up to 12 or 15k. It then will slowly start turning and after a bit gets up to full speed. It then seems to be ok (it also did that some times with the brush hog).

Anyone have ideas of what may be wrong and what I need to do? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Ford 5000 Oil Level & PTO Questions #2  
Based on the symptoms, can we assume this has a hydraulic live pto? Ford uses them a lot, but I'm not sure on your specific model.

If so, something in your hydraulic system is leaking or worn out.

My 7700 acts the same way. Also the pto is supposed to be stopped when off, but at idle it spins. Another symptom.

on my 7700, either the hyd pump is worn out; the Dual Power hi/lo shifter is leaking; the pto brake/ engage unit is leaking.

Each of those costs about $1000+ to fix, and it can be any or all causing the problem for me.

When you engage the pto lever, there is a low-psi hyd brake pad that is released, & a higher psi hyd clutch that is engaged. You don't have enough hyd pressure at the pto to make this stuff work right.

But any number of problems along the way can cause this loss of hyd pressure, not always just a problem with the pto unit itself.

The folks at www.ytmag.com might be more familiar with this age of tractor if you don't get better help here.

--->Paul

/ Ford 5000 Oil Level & PTO Questions
Thank you Rambler for the info. I will check it out.

Bob /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif