New Holland 2510 Fast run on cold startup

/ New Holland 2510 Fast run on cold startup #1  

NWOH_Grizz

Silver Member
Tractor
NH T2310
This winter my 2008 NH 2310 (basically same thing as a TC40) has developed a weird issue. When its cold outside (less than freezing), the tractor will start fine after the 10 second glow plug cycle, idle for a few seconds, then the engine speed will quickly increase to over 3000 rpm. Not a good thing on a cold engine. I have to turn off the key and stop the engine. After about 6 of these cycles, the engine will then start and idle and run normally. Throttle position has no effect, even though the throttle lever seems to work fine. It has the Shibauru 4 cylinder engine, less than 300 hours on the unit.

Anybody have any idea what may cause this?

/ New Holland 2510 Fast run on cold startup #3  
Do you have anti-gel in your fuel? My little machine goes haywire when there is a problem in the filter / filter bowl with gelling or icing. It will run quite fast just before it stops completely, sometimes alternating between below idle speed and quite fast. I'd check the filter/bowl, make sure there is no water of gelled fuel, and if you're not putting anti-gel in your fuel, give it a try. With that few hours on the unit, you might be running summer fuel left over in the winter? That can compound the problem. If the bowl / filter is gunked up, you might try draining a little of the fuel out of the tank to see if there's water in the bottom of your tank.
You probably know this part already, but it's important to keep the tank full when not in use to prevent condensation.
I've found it saves a lot of aggravation keeping spare filters around so they can be swapped out and the gunked up one taken inside to thaw.
Anti-gel won't help in an already gelled situation. For that you need the red bottle, diesel 911.

/ New Holland 2510 Fast run on cold startup #4  
"IF" you have a mechanical injection pump, CAV/ Delphi.. There is a manual shut off next to the throttle lever on the top cover..
Next time the engine starts to race, move the shut off lever slightly to get it to come down..
INSPECT the throttle lever for proper movement.. just because the cab lever is at idle doesn't mean the PUMP THROTTLE is at idle..
The 5/16 nut that attaches the lever to the shaft can loosen up over time.. give it a little twist w/ a socket.. NOT REAL TIGHT, it'll break.
IF the engine slows w/ the shut off lever.. you have a contamination problem inside the injection pump..
IF you need someone to help you out w/ a rebuild, I'm available..

/ New Holland 2510 Fast run on cold startup
Thanks for the help guys. I've inspected the throttle linkage, seems to work as it should. There may be some summer fuel in the tank, I put in 5 gallons at a time in the 11 gallon tank, usually when I get down to a half tank, and always add an additive (white bottle). Maybe that is part of the issue, some summer fuel still in there. The last two times I started it up cold in below-freezing temps, there was no problem. I'm going to pull the filter and inspect the bowl, I always have a couple of new filters in stock.

/ New Holland 2510 Fast run on cold startup #6  
I think if the engine revs up like that, then the problem should be in the fuel injector pump, which is dumping fuel for some reason into the injectors. Drain the tank and replace the fuel, work that engine for 30 mins hard and see if the issue persists.
If the filters are clogged, it would have no power and or run for a bit and then stall.