Ford 1700, Need new rear tire suggestions.

/ Ford 1700, Need new rear tire suggestions. #1  

rayikeo2

Platinum Member
I have a Compact Ford 1700 4x4 needing new rear tires. It came with 4 ply AG tires. I had them filled with fluid and the rims are badly rusted. Need suggestions about ply ratings for replacement. Should I buy 4 ply again or 6 or 8 ply as replacements? My main use is for snow clearing, driveway grading, mowing and rototilling. All for my home use only, not commercial. I plan on replacing the rims and leaving the fluid out. Any Suggestions?

/ Ford 1700, Need new rear tire suggestions. #2  
I don't see a reason you need 6 or 8 ply. I'd hate to give up the weight of filled tires, loader or no loader, though

/ Ford 1700, Need new rear tire suggestions. #3  
For snow the weight of loaded tires and chains is extremely useful when it is icy, or the snow is packed. I have ad tires on my TC30. I have rim guard (beet juice) in mine. I would get your tires filled.

I replaced my front tires 2 years ago. I was looking for Titans as that was what the original tires were. I found a dealer and they were on back order. The dealer recommended Carlisle. They were cheaper and just as nice. I have been pleased with them.

I have two driveways and before I put in a cutover, I used to use the road to connect. That kicked up fresh salt on my rims every time- leading to rust. The cutover has mostly eliminated that problem. I still get some salt on the rims when I clear what the plow trucks throw up at the road.

I'd get what your manual calls for.

/ Ford 1700, Need new rear tire suggestions.
I don't see a reason you need 6 or 8 ply. I'd hate to give up the weight of filled tires, loader or no loader, though

Thanks for the reply, I may reconsider the filled tires because my driveway is up hill on about a 20 degree slope. But this time I will try to get some noncorrosive fill.

Thanks for the info tcreeley, I may try something like beet juice, that's the first I have heard of that. I have been out of the market for a long time. I bought this tractor new in 1970 and filled them then. Looks like 4 ply may be all I need.
When the rims are rusted at the valve stem is there any repair that works or would new rims be better?
As my reply above I have a steep inclined gravel driveway. When it rains really hard the gravel washes down and I have to drag it back up the incline with my box blade. That happens about 6 times a year now.

Correction I bought the tractor in 1980, 38 years ago. Only have 1200 hours on it.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1700, Need new rear tire suggestions. #6  
Thanks for the reply, I may reconsider the filled tires because my driveway is up hill on about a 20 degree slope. But this time I will try to get some noncorrosive fill.

Windshield washer fluid (do not dilute) is the most cost effective non corrosive fluid for filling tires.
"Beet juice" is heavier, but WAY MORE expensive!

/ Ford 1700, Need new rear tire suggestions. #7  
I have a 1700 4x4 like yours. Mine came with Firestone 11.2x24 tires out back. I had to completely replace my rims for the same reason you describe. If I were to replace the tires, I would either buy a set of Titan tires or go back with the Firestones. The Firestone tires will likely cost 50-100 percent more than other brands, but if the next set lasts 38 years, that would be money well spent.

I would (and do) use fluid for traction and stability.

/ Ford 1700, Need new rear tire suggestions. #8  
I have a Compact Ford 1700 4x4 needing new rear tires. It came with 4 ply AG tires. I had them filled with fluid and the rims are badly rusted. Need suggestions about ply ratings for replacement. Should I buy 4 ply again or 6 or 8 ply as replacements? My main use is for snow clearing, driveway grading, mowing and rototilling. All for my home use only, not commercial. I plan on replacing the rims and leaving the fluid out. Any Suggestions?

I bought BKT tires for my Ford 1920, but I don't recall the number of plys.
Same problem as yours though.
Tires had been filled with CaCl, and rims were rotted.
I bought new rims from an online seller.
Tire dealer suggested BKT, and I like them (R-1).
BKT tires are made in India.
I also bought new tubes, and they are now (75%) filled with (undiluted) windshield washer fluid.

/ Ford 1700, Need new rear tire suggestions. #9  
I bought some bkt fronts for a tractor that I sold. I was impressed at how good they look. My local tire shop sells lots of them with no issues.

One more question, Tubeless tires, do they need tubes when filled or will they hold fill without a tube? Is it best to start with regular tires and tubes to fill ?