Ford 1600 getting to much fuel?

/ Ford 1600 getting to much fuel? #1  

topfli8979

Tractor
Ford 1215
I have a project Ford 1600 with the 2 cylinder shibaura diesel engine. It has sat for many years in a barn. I recently cleaned up/unstuck the injection pump to get it running. I did pay attention to pump gear timing marks when reinstalling. BUT I'm thinking it's 360 out of time on pump side. It runs, but blows gray/white smoke the whole time it's running. Engine will surge a little every once in a while also. I don't think it's sucking engine oil in pistons, as oil level has not changed. Oil level is correct. Also replaced injector spray nozzles with new oem. Can pump timing cause this issue?

Also wanted to add, I didn't adjust any of the fuel setting on pump when I cleaned it. Just broke free the fuel buckets so they could rotate to allow flow

Last edited:
   / Ford 1600 getting to much fuel? #2  
I have a project Ford 1600 with the 2 cylinder shibaura diesel engine. It has sat for many years in a barn. I recently cleaned up/unstuck the injection pump to get it running. I did pay attention to pump gear timing marks when reinstalling. BUT I'm thinking it's 360 out of time on pump side. It runs, but blows gray/white smoke the whole time it's running. Engine will surge a little every once in a while also. I don't think it's sucking engine oil in pistons, as oil level has not changed. Oil level is correct. Also replaced injector spray nozzles with new oem. Can pump timing cause this issue?

Also wanted to add, I didn't adjust any of the fuel setting on pump when I cleaned it. Just broke free the fuel buckets so they could rotate to allow flow
I know the injection pump itself has to be timed as well as timed with the engine. An injection shop can time the pump for you and a service manual will tell you how to time the tractor. That's the extent of my knowledge.

/ Ford 1600 getting to much fuel? #3  
I never touched the injection pump on my Ford 1600, but I can tell you it can be a little smokey. Very reliable but not the cleanest burner.

/ Ford 1600 getting to much fuel? #4  
So you DIDNT turn ANY SCREWS behind the side cover?? Just moved the segments until they were free??
IF you took them out.. which requires a camshaft removal.. governor disassembly & the works.. chances are VERY GOOD you didn't get them back in properly.
IF you loosened the small screw ON the segments.. its probably over fueling..& the equal delivery is off..
YOU replaced the nozzles?? What did you torque the nut to?? What was the opening pressure??
How old is the fuel your using?
I need answers to properly help w/ diagnosis..

/ Ford 1600 getting to much fuel?
The bucket slide had been sitting many years and had became very corroded and would not move but maybe a 1/10 of a inch. I sprayed it with wd40 for about a hour and worked it back and forth finally breaking it free. I did not remove any of the screws holding the buckets to the shafts. Fuel is fresh from the station. Yes replaced the nozzles with new parts. As far as the nut torque, I just tightened it down snug. Pop off pressure is unknown also. Probably my reasoning for it running this way. Tractor is getting to much fuel for sure. I was working it today, when to shut it down and it ran for a good 15-20 seconds after I completely lowered/killed the throttle. How do I test pop off pressure pumpguy?

/ Ford 1600 getting to much fuel? #6  
You have to have a "pop tester"..
Just remember> the atomized fuel coming out the end of the nozzle WILL penetrate the skin & cause blood poisoning..
Keep ALL exposed skin & body parts AWAY from the tip end when under pressure..
The injector pressure will have an extreme effect on the quantity delivered.. to hi pressure=not enough fuel.. to low=to much fuel..
The pressure effects the timing also.. to low of a pressure & the fuel is sprayed into the engine sooner..= not at the correct time.

/ Ford 1600 getting to much fuel? #7  

What does the air induction system look like? Is the air filter clean and the intake passages free of mouse nests, mud daubers, etc. You are probably on the right track because of what you found in the pump but it never hurts to look for other potential causes.