TC40D won't shift into gear

/ TC40D won't shift into gear #1  

jefflasar

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I can't get my TC40DA to shift into gear without grinding and will not stop with pedal commands

/ TC40D won't shift into gear #2  
First thought is that the clutch needs to be adjusted.

/ TC40D won't shift into gear
Sorry, I should have said it's a hydrostatic trans

/ TC40D won't shift into gear #4  
When i bought my tc35 used once i got it home i could not shift it in or out of 4wd and it was just the long lever was bent. Id get under neath and look gor bent lever to start

/ TC40D won't shift into gear
lever moves but gears grind and pedals are unresponsive

/ TC40D won't shift into gear #6  
Sorry, I should have said it's a hydrostatic trans

OH, Sorry. If the gears are grinding and the pedals don't operate, it is likely that the shaft the pedals rotates has come loose at the connection to the transmission. That can result in the hydro part of the tractor transmission trying to be engaged when you try to shift the range selector into gear. It is like you have the clutch engaged in a standard transmission. I hope I've said that clearly. The connector I referred to is very difficult to reach and to tighten the clamp that holds it to the transmission shaft. I, finally, cut a piece out of the floor pan on my tractor to make an access.

/ TC40D won't shift into gear #7  
Here is the service manual for my TC40DA HST. From what I see on Messick's parts diagrams I don't think there is much difference. The second section deals with pedal adjustment so you can see how they attach. If everything on the outside is tight and in alignment it sounds like you will have to go into the transmission case. There is an internal clutch assembly. Hope these help.

View attachment Sect29C1.pdf

View attachment Sect29C2.pdf

/ TC40D won't shift into gear #8  
I just had one additional thought. I did have a weld fail on mine a few years ago that caused the same lack of operation of the pedals. I would suggest that WITH THE TRACTOR OFF you get underneath and look at the pedal mechanism while you have someone else move the pedals. You may see everything moving correctly EXCEPT for the shaft to the transmission. The weld that holds that shaft to the flat plate that the cruise control engages with failed on mine.