Mowing TZ24DA and mower deck problem

/ TZ24DA and mower deck problem #1  

Enidguy

Tractor
NH TZ24DA
I'm pretty much a "real tractor" neophyte and am having a problem with my new (1.4 hour) NH TZ24DA tractor and the 54 inch mower. The tractor runs great and has plenty of power, what happens is when I get into enough grass to load the mower a little bit the blades slow down and will stop eventually if you keep moving. If you stop the tractor they come back up to speed. The engine itself is not slowing under the load and doesn't sound like it is even working. The belt is not slipping-no noise or smoke. It seems the PTO is slowing under the load. Is the PTO hydraulically driven-or is it a direct clutch type setup? The grass I am cutting is not that deep and would not even challenge the old Ariens I have been using. The tractor is under warranty so I'm a little disappointed but not worried-just looking for some input from you guys with the experience.

Enidguy

/ TZ24DA and mower deck problem #2  
If it's belt driven, it sounds like the belt is too loose, or not fully engaged. Perhaps try engaging it with the tractor turned off and see how tight the belt is.

Cliff

/ TZ24DA and mower deck problem
Thanks for the input. The blades are belt driven, but the deck itself is shaft driven through a gearbox and this shaft slows down and stops also-not just the blades.

/ TZ24DA and mower deck problem #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the input. The blades are belt driven, but the deck itself is shaft driven through a gearbox and this shaft slows down and stops also-not just the blades.)</font>

So you got down there and looked while the PTO was running under load? Yikes. Anyway, that sounds like the pto clutch slipping, but I'm sure there are people on this board who know a lot more about it than me who will help you diagnose the problem.
Cliff

/ TZ24DA and mower deck problem #5  
This may not be a factor in your case, but the first time I used my TC-18 , a similar thing happened. I was cutting too low in 5-6 " grass. Took just a couple inches off the top at a time and it worked a little better. Then I realized that the hydro was in high range. Put it in low and everything was fine.It's easy to forget these things with a new machine.

With the mower deck lowered it is actually pretty easy to see the driveshaft from a safe distance. It seems like the clutch is slipping-if a hydraulic PTO has a clutch per se. Maybe the PTO engage lever is out of adjustment? I would think if the PTO is engaged properly the engine would bog down before the PTO slipped. There is supposed to be 18 HP available at the PTO after all.

/ TZ24DA and mower deck problem #7  
Personally, I would call the dealer and ask them!

/ TZ24DA and mower deck problem #8  
I'm with Bob. That tractor should be able to mow foot high grass with no problem. With 1.5 hours on it, call the dealer!
Will

/ TZ24DA and mower deck problem #9  
Definately call the dealer. Foot high grass should not even be a challenge for that machine. This is not a typical "lawn mower". Good luck! The dealer should fix you up no problems. Heck its brand new!!
-Brad

Thanks for all the input. I will call the dealer first thing next week, something is definately not right. Other than this hopefully easily fixed problem I am very impressed with the machine.