Hard at it Top Ten

/ Hard at it Top Ten #1  

oldforestor

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kub M8560 Orange Millenium Falcon, Kub M4050 wonderful dependable relic
Well, Ive put 50 hours on my TC40d in the last 30 days and have learned a lot.
1-Most importantly that a stump will completely stop my tractor and whatever a slipclutch in my cutter is, it doesnt work. Ditto for old crossties.
2-Some roll bales are heavier than others-which I found out after lowering one off a wagon with fel spear, hit the slightest off camber dip and lifted a rear wheel-a very paralyzing experience. Fortunately the bale was being carried very low so not much happened, but the pucker effect was there.
3-You really need a brush guard.
4-The shop door is not adjustable by bucket contact.
5-Five straight afternoons of mowing overgrown stuff results in an allergy induced sinus infection.
6-The NH cupholder thing sucks.
7-I need some remotes
8-Pretty new tractors dont stay pretty for long
9-Cruise control on an HST is a necessity.
10-Dont stop mid refueling to do another little thing or youll spend an afternoon looking for your gascap and picking up the little plastic leftovers of your fuel can.

/ Hard at it Top Ten #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
4-The shop door is not adjustable by bucket contact.
)</font>

The same is true for pool decks! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Hard at it Top Ten #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 4-The shop door is not adjustable by bucket contact.
)</font>

Corollary to "4": Toothbar teeth add four inches to the front corners of your bucket.

/ Hard at it Top Ten
Still happy, though less blissful. continuously finding crap nobody should have left in a field has frayed my nerves a bit.

/ Hard at it Top Ten #6  
You may want to add a point that I learned this past winter. When moving at a good clip just because it's big, heavy, mean looking, and has 4WD doesn't give it any more traction stopping on black ice. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It is very graceful in a 360 degree flat spin however. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Hard at it Top Ten #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1-Most importantly that a stump will completely stop my tractor and whatever a slipclutch in my cutter is, it doesnt work. Ditto for old crossties.
)</font>

Get that adjusted or get a shearpin. You don't want to break that new tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I see lots of other things to comment on in your post, but this is by far the most important. I guess that's why you made it No. 1. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Hard at it Top Ten #8  
Yeah, I hit something big last weekend and my slipclutch didn't work either. In my case, though, it sheared the grade 8 bolt in the shear bolt slot. Ouch! I've since "adjusted" the slipclutch, but it appears to be more of an art than a science.

Also lost my gas cap the first time I refueled. Stuck a rag in the hole (BTW, doesn't work well) and found the gascap two weeks later when brush hogging.

You didn't mention trying to adjust the barn entry using the ROPS, good job there!

Must be common TC40D mistakes. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hard at it Top Ten #9  
#5 is why I have a cab. Been there and done that without the cab and I know your pain. I think when I bought this place the pervious onwer was planning on harvesting about 40 acres of rag weed.

#2 can get you in touble. Make sure you use a rear ballast otehrwise your asking for trouble. I have a TN which is a good deal heavier and move a lot of hay bales. Even then I have had a close call or two. One time I was carying a couple of ~1K lbs bales, one with the FEL spike and one with a three point spike. Dropped the one up front off in a row and dropped into reverse to spin around and drop the rear one off in the same row.
Before I knew it I almost flipped over /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, but manged to hit the clutch and save it just in time.
Turns out that the rear one had slipped off and one my 16x30 ags in the rear was trying to climb it.
You can not be to careful with those bales.

Fred

/ Hard at it Top Ten
The 40 is ballasted is the front and rear, but we guessed some of these rolls might weigh up to 1500. It handled em...just slowly and without problems, cept for that one little item. The bigger tractor was broken down so the 40-which I usually only use a rear spear on was pressed into service.