TN70A: Hour Meter quit. What do I check?

/ TN70A: Hour Meter quit. What do I check? #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
I have a 2008 TN70A that I bought new in 2009. The hour meter stopped working back in the winter. (814 hours) Everything else seems to be working correctly, including the Tach.

What do I look for first? Thanks

/ TN70A: Hour Meter quit. What do I check? #2  
Re: TN70A: Hour Meter quit. What do I check?f

If the tach works, the hour meter has failed. Not serviced separately from the complete cluster.

/ TN70A: Hour Meter quit. What do I check?
Re: TN70A: Hour Meter quit. What do I check?f

If the tach works, the hour meter has failed. Not serviced separately from the complete cluster.

Rick,
Thanks for the reply. NOT what I wanted to hear, though! LOL

/ TN70A: Hour Meter quit. What do I check? #4  
Well that’s the NH answer. Maybe if you are handy with electronics you can find some problem if you tear it apart.

. . . Maybe if you are handy with electronics you can find some problem if you tear it apart.

:laughing: Yeah, the answer would be, "now I need to buy a new instrument cluster."

/ TN70A: Hour Meter quit. What do I check? #6  
not really you can get a electric hour meter. just mount it in a convenient place and run a wire from your ignition switch connected to a terminal that is hot only with the engine is running. when you start the motor the meter will work until you turn it off then it stops. have a tractor like that for years. works good.

not really you can get a electric hour meter. just mount it in a convenient place and run a wire from your ignition switch connected to a terminal that is hot only with the engine is running. when you start the motor the meter will work until you turn it off then it stops. have a tractor like that for years. works good.

Thanks, I hadn't even thought about adding a separate hour meter. That would work

/ TN70A: Hour Meter quit. What do I check? #8  
i always like to write down the things that i do for the tractor. electric hour meter keeps the hours just like the original. another thing i do is i have a mail box in the shop that i keep my memo book of all the things i do to keep the tractors and machinery upkeep in. i can go back years and see when i changed oil got new tires replaced chains and so forth. if i didnt write the hours down i would forget it all.