Control Levers

/ Control Levers #1  

SteveInMD

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC33D
The control levers on my TC33D tend to bind up. If I have the lever pulled back so I'm in 2 wheel drive, I can't slide the lever forward to engage the rear PTO. I really like my tractor, but the control levers are my least favorite part. My question is...is this normal, just poor design? or can it be fixed? The tractor is still under warranty for a few more months.

/ Control Levers #2  
I've never used a TC33, but I use a TC24D and a Kubota B2910 and have experienced the SAME thing on BOTH brands of machines.

It seems that the easy solution for me is to nudge the tractor forward or to the rear an inch and then whichever lever seems to have been stuck is usually not stuck anymore.

I don't know why it happens, but it seems to be something I've noticed with both brands, the solution is the same as well. I have experienced the problem shifting into a gear range (both tractor are hydro) and I have exprienced it when engaging the PTO.

/ Control Levers #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I have the lever pulled back so I'm in 2 wheel drive, I can't slide the lever forward to engage the rear PTO. )</font>

Steve, are you saying that the two levers hit each other? I can see that happening fairly easy. The levers are just soft metal and are easily bent (side-to-side) and I think you would do no harm by trying to bend them slightly so they don't interfere with each other. It might require removing the rear wheel to get to the levers more easily, but I'm pretty sure you could permanently fix this with some "gentle persuasion."

/ Control Levers #4  
<font color="blue"> If I have the lever pulled back so I'm in 2 wheel drive, I can't slide the lever forward to engage the rear PTO. </font>
Steve, does the same thing happen when you're in 4wd? IOW, is this a problem with the PTO not wanting to engage or is it a problem with the levers themselves binding up? If it's a case of the levers binding, this can be fixed by bending the levers. I also vaguely remember a post about this where the wrong levers were installed or not bent correctly and they had to be replaced. I would definitely ask the dealer to fix this.

/ Control Levers
The problem was with the lever arms hitting each other under the grey plastic panel. My dealer sent a mechanic out about 2 hours after I called. He used a long pry bar to "adjust" the lever arms. He lubed all the pivot points with spray lube. Everything works fine now.

Thanks for the posts.

-Steve

/ Control Levers #6  
Similar problem in my tc40...4wd lever catching the edge of the plastic slot. I 'adjusted' the lever by twisting it with an adjustable wrench, but considering what is a stake, next time Im gonna grind off the plastic slot instead.