Pfffft... There goes No.3

/ Pfffft... There goes No.3 #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
Yesterday I managed to pop my third OEM hydraulic hose on my 16LA loader. All three hoses have been the short 18" bucket curl cylinder hoses. I have one more original left and I bet it won't be long until I'll need it too.

The first hose broke when I was pushing a pile of brush with the bucket curled down. I hit a small stump, and I'd say that one was totally my fault.

The next one occured about 6 months ago and was a high pressure leak right where the connector swaged sleeve ends. That one only spewed when under high pressure and sent out a mist that filled the air around the front of the tractor.

Yesterday's third hose did exactly the same as No. 2, so I just think this is a common failure with the OEM hoses.

Now the good news....
The last time I had a blown hose, I went to my dealer and had him make me three hoses. I figured it was just a matter of time until the other ones busted, and I wanted to be prepared. For around $10 apiece, I got 3/8" two-wire replacements rated at 4000 psi instead of the one-wire factory hose. I have one more new hose waiting to be "pressed into service" at a moment's notice. It makes me feel really good to have these hoses handy, because none of them have ever busted when the dealership is open.

For those with the 16LA who do a lot of loader work, having a couple spare 18" bucket curl hoses around might save you a lot of inconvenience in the future. I highly recommend it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Pfffft... There goes No.3 #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have one more new hose waiting to be "pressed into service" at a moment's notice. )</font>

Why wait? You know that last one will go right in the middle of a project at the furthest point from your shop /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Put it on and keep the OEM for a spare.

Brad

/ Pfffft... There goes No.3
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why wait? )</font>

Who knows, it might last forever. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I could do just what you say, but I guess it's that little voice inside my head that says, "If it ain't broke...." /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Pfffft... There goes No.3 #4  
Jim try and look at the positive side of all those failed hoses. You are getting real proficient at changing the OEM ones out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Pfffft... There goes No.3 #5  
Hydraulic hoses should hold up well above your pressure relief valve setting. those hoses are substandard quality.
I am thingking of replacing my hoses due to their being 20 years old and getting hard. Are any of the hoses origionating out of the eastern region any good, or do I have to go with a Gates American hose ?

/ Pfffft... There goes No.3 #6  
Jinman my bipolar brain had an argument on this. One side said change it and keep the old hose a backup, and the other side said don't fix what isn't broken.

If your not near the shop chaning it ahead of time would be my preference. Carry on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pfffft... There goes No.3
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hydraulic hoses should hold up well above your pressure relief valve setting. )</font>

Slowrev, I agree, but the problem with that on our tractors is that the relief valve is in line only when the joystick is raising/lowering or curling. When the joystick is centered, there is no relief valve in the line. In other words, the relief valve is between the hydraulic pump and the joystick, so it's effect is only felt when actually raising or lowering. If you hit something with the loader lip, or a big weight drops into your bucket, the only thing that can pop is the flexible or metal hoses. Most of the time it's the flexible hose. Brad Gott had a metal hose blow out on his TN model.

Both of my hoses broke right behind the crimped on connection. They didn't blow out of the connection, but split within 1/2" behind the connection. They don't have to bend much, but the little they do is felt right at that point. I would suggest metal fatigue in the wire as the culprit.

So far I've had great luck with my replacement hoses. Both the hoses and connectors are Gates. Quality is obvious. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pfffft... There goes No.3 #8  
Thanks for clarifying that for me. Yes Gates are good, well at least so far till they start putting their name on Chinese hoses like everyone else seems to be doing... well enough rant on that. I have never blown an american built hose doing what you are talking about. Maybe my cylinders are so old they they have enough leak by to act as a relief valve /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben