I've got 35,000 to spend.....

/ I've got 35,000 to spend..... #1  

JimMorrissey

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05/'06 L39 TLB
I\'ve got 35,000 to spend.....

Which NH machines should I look at? I don't know much about NH equipment so though you might be able to help.

I'm building a small road, digging about 1000 feet of electrical trench and moving lots of top soil in fairly rocky Vermont soils. The land is relatively flat. Obviously I will need a loader and backhoe.

Thanks for any input. I posted a similar message in the JD discussion group.

-Jim

/ I've got 35,000 to spend..... #2  
Re: I\'ve got 35,000 to spend.....

<font color="blue"> I posted a similar message in the JD discussion group. </font>
If you're not sure what to buy, then the right place to post is in the general Buying section and not post the same question in multiple forums. Even if you're only considering NH and JD.

/ I've got 35,000 to spend..... #3  

Hi Jim,

Sounds like you want a NH tractor! You didn' say how much land you have or what your goals are, but what you did mention would only take a few weeks of tractor fun to complete. You then have a tractor left over with nothing for it to do. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Based on the 1000 foot trench, you probably have at least 20 acres. It will need mowing, and rocks will need moving. So you'll need a FEL and a 6' or larger rotary cutter.

Due to the cost, headache, and loss of versatility, I would shy away from the back hoe. If you have a lot of land and endless chores for the BH, by all means get it. But I wouldn't spend all that cash for just one little 1000 foot trench and let the BH rust away when it's done.

So let's take inventory: The RC is a must, and the FEL is nearly so. A box blade is a great all-around tool, and will be used a lot even after the road is finished. A small disk harrow is great for killing weeds (after mowing), and is inexpensive. It's also great for prepping for the FEL or box blade, and speeds things up a lot.

Now for the tractor. Your budget is in the well-accessorized TC35, 40, 45 range. I have the 35, and while it pulls a 6' RC very well, it has trouble pulling the hydraulic pump. I would go for the TC40 or 45. For serious dirt work, consider a 66" loader. The NH 16 LA loader is cool, but in my expericence isn't as productive as a Woods I once owned. Watch out for 72" loaders. They are so wide, and you can't always see what you're doing.

Good luck, and do keep us posted!

/ I've got 35,000 to spend..... #4  

If the big work is only a one time deal.. consider renting a sizeable tractor for the tasks at hand.. then evaluate your long term needs. If only 3.5 acres.. a NH Class II Boomer could fit tasks needed..

/ I've got 35,000 to spend..... #5  

We'll, actually you could put your mind at ease and just give me the money!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding (Not)

Yes you will need a loader and backhoe I am sure. When you are done with the project, then what would you use a tractor for. What I am saying is keep in mind that when the project is done you may find your tractor too big for the majority of your duties. Plan ahead and since you are posting in John Deere also I am assuming you have set your mind on NH of JD. Both good tractors and you won't go wrong with either one. Pick a good dealer, that is more important.

murph

murph

/ I've got 35,000 to spend.....

NO, I specifically posted in both JD and NH for a reason. I wanted NH folks to offer some suggestions, not everybody and their brother chimming in. Also many NH & JD folks do not frequent the General Buying Section.

/ I've got 35,000 to spend..... #7  

<font color="blue"> I wanted NH folks to offer some suggestions, not everybody and their brother chimming in. </font>
I knew there'd be a reason. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue"> Also many NH & JD folks do not frequent the General Buying Section. </font>
Not true in my experience.

/ I've got 35,000 to spend..... #8  

Jim, are you keeping your BX2200? I think you have enough tractor for the normal needs of 3.5 acres. I think I'd rent a full-size TLB and get the jobs done quickly. A 1-week or 1-month rental will give you enough time to do some major rework with a TLB. When you are finished, you'll still have loads left out of that $35k to do many other nice things.

Of course, if you have plans for more land, you'll need a bigger tractor, but I couldn't recommend spending $35k on a blue or green tractor for 3.5 acres and the jobs you mentioned.

/ I've got 35,000 to spend.....

Jinman,

There is actually a lot of road work to do, part of an old pond to fill in, couple thousand feet of septic and electric trench, large concrete slab parts and foundaton pieces from a 6000 sqf barn, stumps AND I want to use it for my next piece of property.

I should have updated my profile....I moved recently to part of an old farm that I am developing (residential housing).

Clearly I didn't provide enough information. I just didn't want to make a big deal about what I was working on.

-Jim

/ I've got 35,000 to spend..... #10  

It sounds like your list of to-do's is a mirror image of mine. I ended up with a TN70S with a Bradco 611 backhoe and it's been great so far. I can't over emphasize how useful the backhoe is - I use it almost as much as I use the loader. It is a pain to remove and re-attach whenever I want to do any box blading, but that just forces me to do all my box-blading at once so that I don't have to swap back and forth too often.

A smaller tractor would be more maneuverable in theory, but so far I've had zero problems in getting into and out of tight spots. The supersteer option is absolutely amazing - although it does cause some adverse sway that has left a few big loader scars on several immovable objects around the property...

For the amount of money that you have to spend, you could definitely get into a TN series with backhoe and be really happy.