Does anyone have a 72" rear discharge MMM?

/ Does anyone have a 72" rear discharge MMM? #1  

Bowhunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Does anyone have a 72\" rear discharge MMM?

Looking at upgrading my tractor one of these days and the TC33DA is on top of the list. I'd like the convenience of the 72" rear discharge MMM because it would make it much easier to trim around my numerous trees and other landscaping, and I could trim with either side without concern of blowing grass clippings into the landscaping.

Does anyone have this deck and are you happy with it? I read in another post that the cut quality went way up and the windrowing went way down with the addition of Gator blades. Guess that'll have to be part of the package. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks!

/ Does anyone have a 72" rear discharge MMM? #2  
Re: Does anyone have a 72\" rear discharge MMM?

I have been using a 72 rear discharge MMM all season. I am overwhelmed by the quality of the cut and the time it saves. Believe it or not about half of my property is hilly and I have experienced no scalping. That was one of my biggest concerns with the MMM. Im using a TC33 with supersteer and it does a neater job than my garden tractor which is almost retired. I truly believe that anyone who has not tried supersteer is missing the boat. That along with the MMM makes the NH a premium cutting machine. You will never regret getting the 72 MMM. Go Blue!

/ Does anyone have a 72" rear discharge MMM? #3  

Bowhunter, I could give you a million reasons why I'm happy with my 33, but you have more than likely read them all. I will only add that this tractor hauls a 72' RMFM around with ease. Once in the seat....you're hooked !

/ Does anyone have a 72" rear discharge MMM?

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. Do you have any pics of your mower decks, in particular the rear discharge, or do you know a site where I can see it? I've checked the NH site but couldn't find any.

Thanks again.

/ Does anyone have a 72" rear discharge MMM?

Wayne I just noticed your location. What part of southern IN are you in? I'm about 10 minutes southeast of Jasper.

Supersteer will be a must for me. I'm already salivating at the thought of mowing around trees without making an 8-point turn. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Does anyone have a 72" rear discharge MMM? #6  

"anyone who has not tried supersteer is missing the boat"

The advantages make sense to me for most applications except mowing (especially lawn, as opposed to field). I don't understand why the inside rear would not tear up the turf. Even with a perfectly efficient differential, the width of the tire itself should cause scuffing on a tight turn.

/ Does anyone have a 72" rear discharge MMM? #7  

Wayne I have the SuperSteer option on my NH also and I am a firm believer as well. However SuperSteer isn't for everyone and some folks just don't take kindly to any change. When you combine it with a FEL it takes some real getting acquainted with I will admit that. I always suggest that anyone that is thinking of SuperSteer go test drive a New Holland that is equipped with it and make up your own mind.

I wouldn's trade SuperSteer or Sensitrak I think they are both big pluses......

/ Does anyone have a 72" rear discharge MMM? #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The advantages make sense to me for most applications except mowing (especially lawn, as opposed to field). I don't understand why the inside rear would not tear up the turf. Even with a perfectly efficient differential, the width of the tire itself should cause scuffing on a tight turn. )</font>

I have no problems with the inside tire scuffing. In fact if I go back and look you will see the outside doing more scuffing that the inside. I believe the inside wheel actually slows down and outside speeds up to help turn. I just can't remember how it all happens.

Supersteer was designed for mowing. If you do mostly loader work I would not get the supersteer.

murph

/ Does anyone have a 72" rear discharge MMM? #9  

I've got the 60" rear discharge. It is in it's third mowing season now. My how time flies... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Last year I would have said I love it unconditionally. This year has begun the love hate relationship.

With my tractor's help, I've greatly improved the health of my lawn. Fertilizing, aerating etc. Because of my work (no good dead goes unpunished) and the above average rain we've been getting, I've been having trouble keeping up with the lawn.

The rear discharge is a mix between mulching and normal deck. Like all comprimises, it does neither perfectly. If you let the lawn grow too much, you'll be sorry. In May/June, I have to cut every 5 days or less for the lawn to look nice (no clumps). I only fertilize 2 x a year. So it isn't overfed. I took a 2 week vacation in July & paid dearly (you probably saw my post on the gators). The wife & I spent 3 hours cleaning up the extra clippings with rake & leaf blower.

The Ideal situation is a "convertible" deck like my dad has on his JD lawn tractor. It runs mulching blades all the time, but you can unblock the side discharge & it will blow the clippings out.

My verdict on the gators is still pending further evaluation, but they look promising. On lawnsite.com they get mixed reviews. Most of the pros find that the OEM mulching blades that are designed with the deck work best. NH never designed the deck to be mulching and is offering the blades after the fact.

Bottom line - if you are a lawn junkie and want it to look like the back 9 not the back 40, I'd recommend a different setup; (Unless you've got the time to mow 2X per week.) Haven't tried the side discharge MMM. You could fabricate a block for the discharge to make it a mulcher (or buy one). But you might be better off with a deck that was designed to mulch. I think Deere has better technology in this area.