Engine Swap

/ Engine Swap #1  

Turkeyman

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4720 and 5075M
I have a 2004 TC35DA with 60 hours on it and need more HP.
I love everything else but the HP. I got everything I wanted on it from the start. At 40 hours the dealer would let me trade up for $6900 to get a TC45 DA. WOW Must be that 20% off the show room floor. I figued a TC 45 engine would be cheaper then that.

Can I ( dealer) put a 45 into my 35 frame?
This is my first tractor and I went up from a TC33 to the 35.
Thanks

/ Engine Swap #2  
I'd look for another dealer as that is outlandish! Tells me a lot about how he views his customers. My dealer offered to take my tractor back at what I paid for it if I wanted to upgrade (within a year) to a larger tractor. I'm sure he would inflate the larger tractor price a bit, but nowhere near the 20% yours is offering. After six months with my Rhino 5' he took it back for the price difference in the 6' Rhino that I really needed.

/ Engine Swap #3  
When I took my TC21D back my dealer gave me full credit and honered the price for the TC29D but I did have to take one that was sitting on the lot for a while. Evidently there is credits New Holland has after a tractor sits on a lot for over 6 months. That didn't bother me at all as trade in was not in the question for the future anyway.

But if anyone knows how I can get a bit more out of my 29 I would sure listen /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

murph

/ Engine Swap #4  
A good diesel shop ought to be able to tweek your pump and/ or your injectors to get the power you want. That can be a little hard on the warranty, though.

/ Engine Swap #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can I ( dealer) put a 45 into my 35 frame? )</font>

Nope! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
The 35 is a 3-cyl diesel and the 40/45 are 4-cyl. They are physically longer and some of the tractor's components are specifically made to suit the engine size. You could do a direct swap of the 45 to the 40, but not to the 35.

This is not to say that you couldn't buy an engine and all the components needed, but that's a lot bigger job than an engine swap. I'd suggest trying to sell your TC35DA and then renegotiate a deal on a TC45DA or maybe even the TC48/TC55 for a lot more power. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Engine Swap #6  
That is unlikely in these days of "emissionized" engines. Anyone who knows how to do it knows what the EPA would like to fine them if it is discovered. Even unspecified injection timing adjustments are illegal.

/ Engine Swap #7  
I doubt they would have much to worry about. Go to any of the diesel truck websites and look at the injectors and fueling boxes offered for sale. I would think that if the EPA decided to go after modifications they would just chase down the listed manufacturers, modifiers and the many satisfied customers posting therein.

/ Engine Swap #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a 2004 TC35DA with 60 hours on it and need more HP. )</font>

Dang. My dealer will trade up for $10.00 per hour. In other words, you would lose $600.00. He's trying to skin ya man.

I know what you mean about the TC35 power. I think the pump takes up so much HP there's not a lot left for the wheels. My old TC29 seemed to have more power at the wheels than the TC35, but the 35 has a lot more oomph at the PTO than the smaller tractor.