Optima's a perfect fit

/ Optima's a perfect fit #1  

BigDave

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D
Optima\'s a perfect fit

I started blowing my 10amp fuse this summer due to infrequent use on my part and a battery that is showing signs of age. I went battery shopping and found the new Optima Yellow Top 51R to be a perfect fit. It looks like it was made to fit my TC33D, nearly identical dimensions. Hopefully, it will last longer than the OEM battery. Just thought I would let you guys know. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Optima's a perfect fit #2  
Re: Optima\'s a perfect fit

I was just checking the net for a jell battery for my 45d. I had some pretty good reviews from the oddysey batteries. I just checked the optima site. They said their battery will last 3 times longer than a normal acid filled battery. It is not unusual for a lead battery to last 3-4 years.... does this mean this jell filled will be good for 10+ ?? The site didn't give a warranty period, just a note to contact your local dealer for that info. What kind of warranty did you get with yours? They seem to cost two and one half times as much as a standard battery, they should last that much longer. My friend had an optima in a diesel skid steer. He said when he totally drained it it never fully recovered to full power. I guess I am a bit skeptical at this point. Hope you have good luck and many years of relyability.

/ Optima's a perfect fit

As far as the lifetime on an Optima, I don't really know. The yellow top is the deep discharge battery, so it's rated to be rundown over 300 times. I doubt I would every need to break-out the battery charger that many times. Anyway, Optima has a 12 month full replacement warranty on this battery, & my dealer added a 12 month prorated warranty for the next year. It cost $120, which was only $30 more than the same brand replacement of my OEM battery that only lasted 2 years. Maybe the OEM battery is cheaper from NH, I didn't check since I wanted a sealed battery this time around anyway. The dealer did have their own brand label battery that was about $50, but again it wasn't sealed.

/ Optima's a perfect fit #4  

If you've had to spend a day taking the front of you tractor apart, cleaning, brushing, painting, and re-assembling, the extra $60 bucks seems like a great deal.

BTW - an Optima is actually different than a gel cell battery.

/ Optima's a perfect fit #5  

<font color="blue"> If you've had to spend a day taking the front of you tractor apart, cleaning, brushing, painting, and re-assembling, the extra $60 bucks seems like a great deal.
</font>

I did spend a day cleaning up the acid mess, and the extra $$$$ for the Optima was still cheap insurance against a repeat failure.

/ Optima's a perfect fit #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you've had to spend a day taking the front of you tractor apart, cleaning, brushing, painting, and re-assembling, the extra $60 bucks seems like a great deal.
)</font>

In my case, it was a day and a half. I recently filled my lead-acid battery just above the plates and the darn thing bubbled out again. That's the second time. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif The first time I got a new radiator and hydrostatic cooler lines, but not the battery shelf. This time when I removed the battery, the looks of the shelf made me cringe. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (see attachment)

Anyhow, I've been wanting to put a battery box in my tractor, so that's what I did. I'll make a separate post in the next few days and give the details of how I made it work. I figure the safest way for an Optima or regular lead-acid is to have the battery box. I just don't like the fact that rain comes in my hood and soaks the battery. If there is any acid leakage, it can only go one place, thru the radiator.

Anyhow, I used several wire brushes and some Loctite Extend to repair my shelf and other damaged components. I repainted everything and I'm really happy with how it turned out. My battery voltage was 12.47 volts, so I just couldn't see throwing it out. Even if I get the Optima, I'll use that OEM battery in something else. I'm cheap that way. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 491610-Yuk.jpg
    491610-Yuk.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 214
   / Optima's a perfect fit #7  

Okay, I don't want to hijack Big Dave's thread, but after posting such a horrible photo, I felt I needed to post a photo of my battery shelf after it was cleaned, treated and repainted. This makes me feel a lot better. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 491613-Yuk-Not.jpg
    491613-Yuk-Not.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 234
   / Optima's a perfect fit

Jim,

No worries here. I'm looking foward to an installed pic when your done.

Dave

/ Optima's a perfect fit #9  

Jim I'm really surprised as you are the one that originally clued me in the the New Holland battery problem on my tractor. It's bad enough to do the clean-up once but twice??? I hope for your sake that the battery box takes care of the problem for you once and for all.

/ Optima's a perfect fit #10  

<font color="blue"> ( I figure the safest way for an Optima or regular lead-acid is to have the battery box. ) </font>

Actually there's no need for a battery box with an Optima. You could install it up-side-down if you like. A sealed battery or a gel cell would leak if you tried that. If you keep your OEM battery, a box seems like a smart plan to me.