Yellow top... or .. red top Optima ?

/ Yellow top... or .. red top Optima ? #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
Sure is confusing. Two of three people I spoke with stated I didn't want the yellow top for a diesel tractor application. They stated if it wasn't drawn down substancially and brought back up it wouldn't cycle properly and may develop a memory at near full charge. The red top is recommended due to its features that most replicate an autos application, alot of cold cranking and quick recharge. Do I flip a coin or wait for the white top ? I e mailed the manufacture'r and awaiting results. My own personal opion is they both would be ok. The salespersons didn't have alot of hard facts to backup their claims. They have been around for some time, there shouldn't be any mystery. H E L P !!!!

/ Yellow top... or .. red top Optima ? #2  
When I installed mine the model 51 only came in a yellow top. Maybe it comes in a red top now, I don't know. Anyway mine has worked just fine.

I did a quick Internet search and found this....

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-6.htm

A yellow top Optima is a lead-acid battery. And according the article, "Lead-acid is not subject to memory."

/ Yellow top... or .. red top Optima ?
Thanks Steve;
Interesting article, some very good facts. When you think about it there has to be a vent somewhere due to the gasses created when charging. So... it is a nearly sealed battery. When I took mine out there was traces of acid leakage on the batery base as well as nearby metal parts. The article didn't say if a deep or regular cycle was best suited for our use. I think the longer they lay dorment the harder it is on the contents. Incidently the one I took out was a sealed battery as I couldn't find a removable section to check the water level.What ever I end up with is probably going to be in a plastic case vented to the bottom.

/ Yellow top... or .. red top Optima ? #4  
I used the red top Optima in my New Holland. I have also included additional information that I found on the red top Optima battery.

In an OPTIMA battery, the lead plates and separator are wound and tightly compressed into a cell tube so they can't move, shed, or break, even in severe shock and vibration applications. In independent SAE tests, the OPTIMA kept working after being subjected to vibrations up to 5G for 12 hours. As in all AGM TECHNOLOGY BATTERIES, there is no "free acid" that can leak out or spill and the OPTIMA can be operated effectively in any position -- even upside down -- without any risk of leaking and because it is sealed, no corrosion can form on the posts, connectors, or cables.

At DC Battery, we have been shown tests in which the a bullet is fired into an Optima leaving a huge hole in the center. Even with the battery's interior exposed, there was no leakage and when placed into a vehicle, it performed perfectly.

OPTIMA HAS A LOWER RATE OF SELF-DISCHARGE
Those who use seasonal equipment, such as farm equipment, boats, and stand-by generators, appreciate the fact that the OPTIMA will spring to life -- even after months of non-use. Resellers like the fact that an OPTIMA battery can sit on a shelf unused for up to a year before it needs boost charging.

/ Yellow top... or .. red top Optima ? #5  
All Optima Batteries are considered deep discharge. The red tops have a higher amperage rating but can withstand fewer draw-downs of voltage.

For example:

Red - Model 34 - 750 CCA, 50 deep cycles, 104 min reserve, wt. 38.8 lbs
Yel - Model D34 - 650 CCA, 350 deep cycles, 120 min rserve, wt. 43.8 lbs

Go red if you need the amps, & go yellow if you abuse your battery. I went yellow. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Yellow top... or .. red top Optima ? #6  
Hello Joe,

I went with the same setup as PineRidge. (Look at the detailed installation of a red -top he has provided us all with, this guy is squared-away!) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had corroision problems when I purchased my used tractor, but after getting warranty issues setteled with no cpmplaints from my nearest dealer, I decided to go with the red top like PineRidge.

I copied his welded hold down and my tractor has been in "stasis" ever since.

Click on his links. Wonderful, long term solution! Someday I'll have to do a post of my copy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Yellow top... or .. red top Optima ? #7  
I'm no battery wiz but i have a optima blue top that lives on a , I take it camping i jump start cars trucks and tractors and many other machines, It sits on the trolley truck in the shed and the only time i charge it is when i go camping and that is done in the car traveling.

I love it, it is simply brilliant /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Yellow top... or .. red top Optima ? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sure is confusing. H E L P !!!! )</font>

Unless you use your tractor a lot differently than most, it really doesn't matter. Only in the most severe uses will the differences be great enough to have an effect.

I've considered putting a tiny little AGM battery on my Boomer. SInce it cranks with the slightest bump of the starter, summer and winter, I don't think it needs a big battery. I have no air conditioning or other accessories. I'm sure that even a $15 lawn mower battery would would last a year or 2, with no leaks.

/ Yellow top... or .. red top Optima ? #9  
I appreciate this conversation. I'm installing red/yellow on a tractor that I plan to add aftermarket work lights as well as a sander spreader. I'm leaning towards yellow based on what I've read on the forum, mfg website etc. What are all your thoughts? The JD 790, does have an alternator and I plan to purchase an on board supplementary battery balance charger... I abuse my tractor (farm) and in turn the battery as it will run almost all day in some cases, so I can't have a dead battery the next morning...

/ Yellow top... or .. red top Optima ? #10  
Other than this thread is over 11 years old, I think optima are still good batteries. I would make sure that the auxiliary systems have heavy enough wiring and are relayed into a keyed hot so you can't drain the battery inadvertently.