Log Splitter / Hydraulics ??

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ?? #11  
<font color="blue">I thought open center was typical of most small tractors and closed center was typical of most larger tractors regardless of make? correct me if I'm wrong.
</font>

That was my impression as well. I have a "New Holland" hydraulics instruction book I bought on ebay. It "confirms" our impressions.

A closed system can offer higher performance, but can be more complicated.

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ?? #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Closed center typically means a JD tractor.. )</font>

Paul

I thought open center was typical of most small tractors and closed center was typical of most larger tractors regardless of make? correct me if I'm wrong.

Andy )</font>

All my big tractors are 1979 or older. Closed center is a newer idea, so you are probably right. It has more to do with age tho. John Deere used it a long, long time ago, while others just started using it a decade or so ago....

--->Paul

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ??
Did I mis-speak when I called it a "detent"?

I thought a detent was simply a hydraulic control lever? Does it mean more like it sticks open or has some other feature?

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ?? #14  
Dentent is when the lever holds itself in either postion (lift or raise - can hold in one or both directions) until the overflow valve goes, then it releases itself back to center 'off' position.

For a log spliter, it is not legal to build one for sale commercially with detent in the splitting direction (what you do for yours is your business), but it is _very_ handy to have a detent in the return direction. Then you can be picking up the pieces, or getting the next log while the ram is traveling back to home position.

--->Paul