Log Splitter / Hydraulics ??

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ?? #1  

tafische

Can someone help give me a better understanding of the hydraulics on my TC40 in relation to adding a log splitter?

I currently have a remote valve I use on the back of the tractor for my road blade - the control is under my seat.

When I look at the splitters it talks about open vs. closed system-- what is the difference?

If I added a splitter to my tractor would I have to operate it from the seat with the remote? (not very convenient) Is there a way to make the control stay open and be able to operate it from the rear?

thanks!

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ?? #2  
I got the TSC unit and it worked perfectly on the TC40. You just use a bungee cord to keep the seat control in operating position. Then you use the logsplitter's control to split.
Mark

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ?? #4  
<font color="blue"> I currently have a remote valve I use on the back of the tractor for my road blade - the control is under my seat.
</font>

Under the seat ??? What did I miss ??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ?? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When I look at the splitters it talks about open vs. closed system-- what is the difference?)</font>

My understanding is a closed system has it's own pump that mounts on the PTO. You need this type if you don't have a rear remote, or if the remote's flow rate is not high enough for the implement. An open system requires a remote.

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ?? #6  
Good point - the control for the rear remote is next to the 3PH lift control. Maybe he was thinking of the drop-speed knob for the 3PH.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mark

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ??
Well on my TC40D (year 2000) model the detent control is located under the right side of the seat. I think the new models have them up on the fender....

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ?? #8  
If it is a detent control then you can eliminate the Bungee Cord. That does seem like a strange place for the remote lever. Is it easy to get to while operating the Tractor.?

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ?? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well on my TC40D (year 2000) model the detent control is located under the right side of the seat. I think the new models have them up on the fender.... )</font>

Under, or squeezed in beside, short little lever?

Anyhow, if it has a detent or the metal around the lever has a hook to hold the lever 'open' then you have everything you need. If the lever will not stay in one direction, then you need to spend the big bucks for the bungie cord. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Open center is more common, the hyd pump pumps all the time, curculating oil at very low pressure. When you need the oil to do something, you move a lever & the moving oil is redirceted to the job you need, and the pump increases the pressure because you cut off the unrestricted flow.

Closed center typically means a JD tractor... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Closed center is a pump that provides a constant pressure on the oil, but normally no flow. When you need the oil to do something, you move a lever & allow the oil to flow. The pump goes to work bringing the pressure back up, and your work gets done.

Either system is fine, but they work bass ackwards to each other and your hydraulic pump and your hydraulic control valves (levers) _must_ both be the same system, or it will either not work or break something.

Pto pumps can be either style. Many JD tractors are closed center (of the valve...) and many other tractors are open center (of the valve...) but best not to say _all_ the time... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Many control valves can be set with a setscrew/valve to work either way.

To operate the wood splitter, hook up the hoses, set your hyd lever to the open position (detent, hook, or bungie) (won't matter which way the oil flows, you are just supplying a flowing loop of oil to the wood splitter) and then use the lever on the splitter to redirect the oil to either side of the splitter's cylinder.

--->Paul

/ Log Splitter / Hydraulics ?? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Closed center typically means a JD tractor.. )</font>

Paul

I thought open center was typical of most small tractors and closed center was typical of most larger tractors regardless of make? correct me if I'm wrong.

Andy