My NH - Is it jealous??

/ My NH - Is it jealous?? #1  

Libertine

Gold Member
Tractor
TC40 16LA FEL w-QT & 758c BH
A couple weeks ago I bot a 2 wheel tractor (to replace some Gravelies) and have been using it more than my TC40 since for some jobs it works better, is easier to maneuver and only represents 1/5 the investment. I prefer to "use up" the less expensive piece of equipment when possible. Anyway . . . yesterday the 3 pt on my TC40 simply quit on me. No lift at all. Even though the 2 wheeler was "blue" (NH blue to boot), I think the TC40 was pissed because I was ignoring it. Watcha think?

After fiddling with it, reading the shop manual, studying the parts manual, etc., I came to the conclusion it was something internal in the transaxle (the loader still had lift). Talked to the shop foreman today and he said he thought it was the "3pt unload valve" and had seen a few of them get small particles stuck in them that clogged it and held the valve open and so it simply allowed the hydraulic pressure dump directly back into the sump (instead of pressuring the hydraulic lift cylinder). I don't think it's the pressure relief valve since there was no "popping" (or engine laboring) like with the BH sometimes. Tractor has about 200 hrs on it. Since I don't want to mess with going into the transaxle myself, will have to take it in.

Anybody else have problems with their 3pt lift arms simply quiting on them that turned out to be dirt specks in the valve? Or, was the NH simply trying to "get even" with me for slighting it?

JEH

/ My NH - Is it jealous?? #2  
Here's a test to rule out a problem: Take your 2 wheeler, and move it to where the TC can see it. Cover it with a blanket, and slip a big board on top beneath the blanket. Now hammer the 2 wheeler with a sledge hammer (being careful that the board absorbs all the blows) until yoiu give out. Now wash down your TC, and take it out for a leisurly spin in high gear.
Try the 3PH. If it works, you know the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for the REAL problem, I don't have a clue. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ My NH - Is it jealous?? #3  
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ My NH - Is it jealous?? #4  
Ford used the unloading valve scheme as early as the NAA in 1953. Dirt DID effect the hyds. It was not uncommon to have your lift die.. change the oil, add kerosene, flush the hyd sump, manually move the valving, replace new oil.. work the lift up and down and have it be as good as new.

That's all fine and dandy on my old 52 year old tractor... I think your 200 hour old one needs professional help since it is still under warranty right/

Soundguy

/ My NH - Is it jealous?? #5  
Do you have any rear remotes, even one not hooked up to an implement? Make sure that one isn't activated and shunting pressure away from the 3-pt. Also try running the 3-pt speed valve (under the front part of the seat) all the way out and then back in.

/ My NH - Is it jealous?? #6  
Libertine, you said your loader works, and the engine doesn't seem to be loading. That points toward to the HPL valve, but it might also be a rear remote if you have them installed. They are physically between the FEL diverter valve and the HPL valve. Do you have rear remotes? If they stick in the open position, your 3PH will not lift. I've had that problem myself. Of course, it loads your engine a little, but I didn't detect the loading until I realized the 3PH was not working. Just placing the remote to the center, neutral postion, fixed my problem.

You also have a backhoe don't you? I think everything gets hooked into the hydraulic system before the 3PH, so if it's not the FEL diverter, remotes, backhoe, or PTO brake/clutch diverter, it probably is the unloading valve portion of the HPL. You might also check that the PTO works and engage/disengage it a few times. The good news is that only the cover under the seat has to be removed to get to the HPL valve, and since you have a gear tractor, the platform is not as hard to remove as the "deluxe" platform.

/ My NH - Is it jealous?? #7  
I wasn't aware that you had a BH on your rig. You need to disconnect and then reconnect the quick coupler at the manifold block where your front BH connection is normally made. If there is a bad connection at that point the 3-point and all rear remotes will be disabled.

/ My NH - Is it jealous?? #8  
Also try turning the 3 pt "speed control" valve.. if it's set to very slow.. turn it to a faster setting. I've had my 3pt stop working because the valve was set to the lowest "slowest" setting.

/ My NH - Is it jealous??
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
Jinman - Didn't check if the PTO was working. BH not connected at the time, but did (as PineRidge suggested) check the hose connection at the diverter block on lower/center starboard side (BH high pressure connects there when it mounted, rear plugged in there when BH not hooked up) to make sure it secure. Rear remotes were not getting pressure either. Took it in yesterday & head mechanic tried to find "easy" fix, no luck so had to leave it.
kensfarm & DocHeb - did try 3 pt speed control. Not that.
Soundguy - Will remember your suggestion RE cleaning. I told dealer to go ahead and replace hydraulic fluid & filter (although the fluid was (looked) clean enough and isn't due for replace until 300 hrs).
have_blue - overlooked that one! However, the 2 wheeler does seem to be running better now that the NH is in the shop (tilled some last night for grass seeding). . . . hmmm. Gee, hope these two machines can learn to get along and play nice together. Would hate to give up either one. Each has its uses.

Everything seems to point to an internal clog somewhere, probably where jinman suggested. We'll see. Thanks again.

JEH

/ My NH - Is it jealous?? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Rear remotes were not getting pressure either. )</font>

Hey! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That's good news. If the rear remotes are not working, the problem can't be in your HPL valve either. The rear remotes come before the HPL valve in the circuit. It's starting to sound like a problem in your diverter valve. Maybe a piece of trash was picked up from the backhoe circuit and deposited in an orifice in the diverter. I sure hope that's what it is because they won't have to fool with your operator platform at all. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif