TC 24D Looses power while turning or on slopes

/ TC 24D Looses power while turning or on slopes #1  

Devin_Anderson

I was wondering if any of you all could tell me if you have had this happen or heard of it happening to someone before. I was mowing a level pasture today with a 60" RMM when for no apparent reason the tractor started to loose power. (engine RPM dropped from 2500 to 2100) and seemed to be running rough. I disengaged the PTO and engine came back up to speed. Tried to reengage PTO but engine bogged down again. I let it just sit there and run for a minute or so throttled down then throttled up, reengaged PTO and it stayed at 2500 RPM. This problem continued intermittently for the rest of my mowing and seemed to come back when I was on a slope or turning to mow in a different direction. I just went over 50 hours today and plan on serviceing it myself. The air filter was checked prior to mowing and looked good. I am thinking it was water in the fuel but don't know how it got in there. I buy my fuel at the same place I buy fuel for my Duramax and have never had any problems with it. Can the fuel cap leak? I guess what I am asking is the fuel cap vented? I plan on inspecting the fuel filter bowl tomorrow but thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks for your time.

/ TC 24D Looses power while turning or on slopes #2  
I've not had any problems with mine, but I think you might want to focus more efforts on your air filter or air intake. On the surface it seems like that might be a possible source of the problem. Make sure nothing is obstruting the air flow. I recall reading someone else had an intermittant problem and it turned out to be the plastic wrapper on their owners manual that was taped to the inside of their hood and it would periodically cover the air intake. I'm not saying that is your problem, but the symptoms are very similar to something obstructing the airflow.

/ TC 24D Looses power while turning or on slopes #3  
My 29 did that on the day they brought it out to me. We found all kinds of crud in the fuel tank. My tractor sat on the lot over a winter with an empty fuel tank. We cleaned every up and even today I have some problems and found I have to change the fuel filter every 6 months. I use a fuel conditioner every 3 or 4 tanks also.

murph

/ TC 24D Looses power while turning or on slopes #4  
Do you have a water separator? It sure makes getting the water out very easy. Water gets in the fuel through condensation. Water in the fuel will surely make your engine run rough, and if you get enough water in the fuel, it will finally just quit.

Another thing to look into is your fuel filter -- it could be that it is clogged and the engine is starving for fuel when it really needs it -- like mowing uphill.

/ TC 24D Looses power while turning or on slopes #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was wondering if any of you all could tell me if you have had this happen or heard of it happening to someone before. I was mowing a level pasture today with a 60" RMM when for no apparent reason the tractor started to loose power. (engine RPM dropped from 2500 to 2100) )</font>

I thought this was happening to me a few times, but it was because the brush hog skid was digging into the ground or the grass was scalping real short on a slope. It's a long shot I know, but just something to look at.

/ TC 24D Looses power while turning or on slopes
Thanks for the info. I am leaning more towards fuel problem rather than air. I checked the air filter yesterday before I started mowing and other than it being slightly discolored from dust it looked pretty good and I did not notice any loose plastic under the hood yesterday. (my owners manual was read cover to cover when I purchased last year and never stored under the hood) I have recently started parking my blue baby out side versus in the garage due to projects going on in my garage and it is exposed to temps below dew points every night and we have received a lot of rain over the last month. Possibly condensation in the tank. I was not aware that I should keep tank full to keep down the condensation but I will start doing so. Maybe she is just upset with me because she has lost her nice parking/resting space in the garage. I plan on doing the first service this weekend. I would like to know if any of you have aftermarket filter numbers for this machine. New Holland filters are expensive and to be quite honest I am sure wix or Mobil 1 may be a better/cheaper product. I plan on useing Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic diesel oil from now on. Any thoughts on or info would be greatly appreciated.

/ TC 24D Looses power while turning or on slopes #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the info. I am leaning more towards fuel problem rather than air. I have recently started parking my blue baby out side versus in the garage due to projects going on in my garage and it is exposed to temps below dew points every night and we have received a lot of rain over the last month. Possibly condensation in the tank. I was not aware that I should keep tank full to keep down the condensation but I will start doing so. )</font>

With the new parking situation, and not keeping the fuel tank full while parked, I'd suspect the fuel bowl is pretty full of water, and there's a good chance that's your problem.

As far as the oil is concerned, you can now buy the Mobil Delvac 1 in quart bottles at Walmart and various auto parts stores - it's packaged as Mobil 1 Truck & SUV oil with a yellow cap. It's Delvac 1 packaged to get into the hands of the general public, and 4 quarts can be had at those stores for less than you can probably get the Delvac 1 gallons.