Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #1  

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
Using a \"Mr. Heater\" in Curtis Cab

A pre-warning of winter arrived in Minnesota yesterday. Temperatures in the 30s and a gentle "breeze" out of the northwest at about 35 mph has caused me to think about putting on the Curtis soft side cab on my TC40DA. At least there are no mosquitos pestering me.

I purchased the cab last winter with the 15,000 btu heater. The heater is pretty impressive with respect its heat output. The downside is that it takes a couple of hours to install by the time you drain the coolant, attach the hoses, refill the coolant and hook up the wiring. It might be a little faster the second time.

I thought an alternative to the water heater would be to just use one of the portable "Buddy Heaters" that you see sold at hardware stores, Norhtern Tool, etc. The heater is rated at 4,000 or 9,000 BTU and can use a 1-lb or 20-lb propane cylinder. I wouldn't plan on using a 20-lb cylinder but the 1-lb would seem rather convenient.

There is also a "Big Buddy" heater that is rated at 4000, 9000, or 18,000 BTUs. It would seem easy enough to build a small platform where the current hot water system heater attaches to hold the propane heater.

Both of these heaters are rated for indoor and outdoor use. They are supposed to be safe for tent use so it would seem to be safe for use in a cab.

Buying the small 1-lb propane tanks isn't cheap but the actual hours one spends moving snow probably amounts to less than 30 hours for the entire season. It also would seem to offer the advantage of instant heat rather than waiting for the tractors coolant to warm.

What do you guys think? Does anyone know how long a 1-lb cylinder would run the heater at the higher output?

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #2  
Re: Using a \"Mr. Heater\" in Curtis Cab

I would be very concerned about anything that creates carbon monoxide in a confined space.
I just got a Curtis catalog in the mail yesterday. There is a DC Electric Heater that puts out 1200 BTU on 12 Volts DC for $188. Not going to get you hot but should help to keep the feet warm.
Why not use the money for the extra heater and pay someone to install the heater you have?

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #3  

I would think a couple inline shutoffs and a proper harness connector would trim the time it takes to install the Curtis heater.

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #4  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would think a couple inline shutoffs and a proper harness connector would trim the time it takes to install the Curtis heater. )</font>

Rick,

I agree that would be the best way. However, TCowner was also looking for a way to heat his cab faster. Waiting for the coolant to warm up takes too long. I know my TC29D the temp gauge in the winter will not come off the bottom until I start working the engine. If I let it just sit at a fast idle it will never create enough heat to warm up a cab. The propane one does scare me even though they say for indoor use. If not vented it isn't really good for indoor use no matter what the manufactures say.

murph

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #5  

How about a block heater or lower hose heater? That gets your antifreeze up to temp fast. I used one the first two years my tractor was outside here in Vermont. Even bought a timer so I wouldn't have to leave it on all night. Just set it to come on an hour prior to when I got up. When you hook up your heater and have your antifreeze out throw it in.
Just a suggestion. Have a great day.

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #6  

I would be very leery about any heater that competed with me for oxygen in the same confined area. I know most have oxygen sensors but we all know how Murphey's law works, right?

The second strike is carbon monoxide however minute the amounts may be.

Third strike would be risk of fire within the cab. Things might get hot real quick with a propane heater.

I think I'de figure an easier way to connect the heater that works off your circulating engine coolant. Then either use an electric block heater for quick warm ups or do like the semi drivers and restrict the air going through the radiator until the block comes up to normal operating temps. Much, much safer.

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #8  

Don,
At 120 watts, probably not /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #9  

Cooling systems are designed to prevent engine overheating with little regard for winter use. As an 'old' farmer, I know that 99% of us could cover half to two thirds of the radiator core with cardboard for the entire winter without overheating risk, especially if we monitor the temp gauge. Nearly instant heat, better engine life and efficiency. Cheap, easy. Make the cover symmetrical if you are concerned about fan flex. I don't, and haven't failed a fan yet.

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #10  

I agree Rick, that would help much. For me no, I don't have a cab so I don't worry. When it is cold, I just dress up and get out and get it done as quick as I can and then get back in the house.

There is no burr Face for me to use here.

murph