TN65D hand throttle let go

/ TN65D hand throttle let go #1  

KenPauling

Silver Member
Tractor
Now Holland TN 65D with Cab
I have a new TN65D tractor with 22 hours on it. This morning I took it out to do some field work and as I went to increase the engine RPMs with the hand throttle, nothing happened! I worked it open and closed several times and nothing happened! The foot throttle works OK, but thats it! Has anyone had this happen to them? Maybe the linkage is broke or disconnected. There was no warning or problem with it before, just a sudden loss of hand throttle control with the engine on idle speed! Has anyone fixed a problem like this with this type of tractor? This shouldn't happen with a new tractor.

/ TN65D hand throttle let go #2  
Never happened to either of my TN's but I'm sure it is easy to fix. I wouldn't touch it, just call dealer and have him fix it.

Andy

/ TN65D hand throttle let go
I finally got my hand throttle fixed. It was a broken cable.(22 hours old) It took both a trainned mechanic and myself about 1 1/2 hours to replace the cable! It was nuts. We had to take apart the hand throttle control cover( a real experience in twisting,tilting and sliding parts thru each other) then next take apart the hand throttle mechanism. The cable was held on by three snap rings. Next we had to pull out the old cable and thread the new one up thru a maze of grometed holes and other cables. After the cable was in place, one of the always fun snap rings decided it was going to fly away. We looked for it in between places in the cab that a flee couldn't fit but never found it. Of course we didn't have a spare. We used one off the bottom of the cable and reassembled the throttle mechanism and cover( about a 15-20 minute job for someone with 3-4 hands)The next day I bought a new snap ring for the bottom of the cable which was easy to put on. I honestly feel the old mechanical linkage was much better than the cables they are using today. It might be OK if they used heavy duty quality cables but this is not the case. My 2003 Chevy truck just had a recall on the junk cables that hold the tailgate from dropping down. What was wrong with the old metal straps that use to be on the tailgates? They worked great. Someone must have figured they could save 50 cents by replacing them with cheap junk cables. Now they have to replace them all with stainless steel cables! Some savings! I wonder what other money saving substutions have been "engineered" into my new tractor!!

/ TN65D hand throttle let go #4  
I have not had a problem with any cables on my TN and I have owned it since April of 2000 and it does not have a cab and spends most its life outside. Also, Ford has used cables on its tailgates for a long time as well. On my old 92' F-150 I had to replace the cables after 8 years. One broke and we just replaced both. We use the truck on our jobsites and the gate was raised and lowered numerous times every day so they hold up well. You just had a bad cable on your TN and that is all. Take care.