TC30 - Need Pros and Cons

/ TC30 - Need Pros and Cons #1  

TNMIKE53

I am considering buying this tractor but would like to know the pros and cons of it. This is the mechanical transmission model and has two wheel drive. I plan to pull a 6 foot finishing mower and maybe buy a tiller to go with it at a later time. It will be used on 5 acres primarily. Also which would be the better tire the Ag or the R3?

/ TC30 - Need Pros and Cons #2  
Hey Mike,

I purchased a TC 30 last month and I just love it. Mine is 4WD with hst. I would recomend going with the 4wd HST if you can swing the extra $$$, I think it is about $1200 but money well spent. If you are going to do finish mowing get the R-4s, seems they have a better profile for the lawn. Mine do leave marks but usually puff back up in a day or 2, not sure how the ag tires would treat your lawn espically when a little soggy. That machine is built very well and heavy for the price compared to others I looked at. Good luck on your purchase.

Chris

/ TC30 - Need Pros and Cons #3  
I am new to this forum, but I would not suggest a 2wd TC 30. I purchased a TC 30 two months ago. My experience on my tractor clearly shows how much more a four wheel drive tractor (TC 30 size) can do when compared to a 2 wd.

I really like my TC 30 but I would not buy a 2wd. I have gotten stuck several times in 2wd and have had to use 4wd to get out.

Just my 2 cents.

Todd

/ TC30 - Need Pros and Cons #4  
If your land is level, then 2wd is ok for the mowing. I have never had a tiller, but I would imagine it would suffice for that too. With 2wd, I would opt for ag tires for more traction unless, as said before, you are level. If you don't plan on loader work also it should be ok.

Otherwise, I would highly recommend 4wd. I moved over from a 2wd/gear tractor and would never go back to it. My land is up and down and use the 4wd 50-60% of the time. Loader work almost always requires 4wd for both digging in and for safety.

Mark

/ TC30 - Need Pros and Cons
My land is level. My brother-in-law who lives next door, has a Kubota 2552 2wd w/FEL and I've used it with the finish mower, rotary cutter, and the FEL when hauling and spreading dirt and never had any issues, which is what makes me lean to the 2wd.

I don't plan on getting a loader at this time. When I talk with the dealer again I'll check on the price of the 4wd.

/ TC30 - Need Pros and Cons #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't plan on getting a loader at this time. )</font>

Operative words are at this time.

If you're planning on getting a loader for it at anytime in the future, then you should get 4wd, because 2wd doesn't work well with the extra weight of a loader.

/ TC30 - Need Pros and Cons #7  
The 30 is a great economy model.

Lik ethe others have said... ag tires will be the most agressive. In good firm established pasture.. etc.. that won't be a problem. The grass will print.. but should stand back up if healthy. Wet soil will obviously print more.. and turning may tear it.. especially if you break traction.

I used to have a NH 1920.. a tad bigger than the tc30. I used 4wd on my flat pasture twice... both while discing... and that was only to help make turns.. no traction problems while going straight. I also remember using 4wd once when crossing a 'dry' pond bed.. right before i fell 2' deep into muck. 4wd didn't help in the least once the tractor broke thru the thin dry crust on the pond bottom.

Your call on the 4wd. So far it's been the only tractor that had it. Power steering on the other hand is nice....

With 2wd.. I would get ag tires unless you are doing real manicured lawn / golf course work.

no reason why a 2wd tractor can't rototill if you have good agressive rear tires.

what other duties will this tractor perform other than rototilling occasionally and finish mowing?

Soundguy

/ TC30 - Need Pros and Cons #8  
Mike,
After you get it you will wish many times, that you would have gotten a 4wd. These compacts are light and they don't get traction very good. This is the reason that you don't see very many with 2wd. If you plan on getting a loader later, you would see that when you try to go up any kind of hill or even a small bump with the loader bucket heavy that you can't get up it without lots of weight on the back. I'm not saying that you couldn't do a lot with a 2wd, but you will have a much harder time of it with one.

/ TC30 - Need Pros and Cons #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( These compacts are light and they don't get traction very good. This is the reason that you don't see very many with 2wd. )</font>

Sure they are light.. that's what loaded tires, wheel weights, and fore and aft weights are for.. even frame weights.

I think it is a tad subjective to say that you don't see very many compacts with 2wd. I can safely say that roughly half the tractors setting on the big 3 lots as well as some of the discount and used lots near my house are 2wd. Course.. this is flat teritory too.

No argument that a minimum of pow steering is wanted, and 4wd is a great bonus for loader work.

Keep in mind that tractors were mostly 2wd up untill the mid eighties... and lots of farmland got farmed in the early 30's and up with 2wd tractors... ( all they had for the most part.. and they made due.. )

Soundguy

/ TC30 - Need Pros and Cons #10  
I'd recommend gett ing a 4WD TC30.

A two wheel drive compact tractor is pretty much worthless for a good many applications simply due to inadequate traction.

A 4WD makes it a much more useful tool for a large variety of purposes (many of which you cannot foresee now).

Besides, we end up pulling out my neighbors when he gets stuck every other month with our 4WD!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif