Pump shock !

/ Pump shock ! #1  

dass

Silver Member
I haven't needed any diesel fuel since mid summer. Got some yesterday....$2.43 /gal. In Clifton Park , near Albany,NY, it's $2.49. Last time I got fuel it was $2.05. I can cut back on my seat time...no problem. But farmers and truckers have got to be feeling it. I read a market report that said crude would be $60 a barrel before the end of the decade. That would be roughly three dollars a gallon. I think we've just heard a wake-up call !

/ Pump shock ! #2  
Last time I filled my tank it was $2.04, and that gave me the heebie jeebies. No more tractor fun for me! From now on, I'm not cranking it until I have some serious work to do. <wondering how much it costs to keep a pair of mules> /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Pump shock ! #3  
I hear the imported mules are more efficient and don't drink as much as the domestics. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I still think we're doing better than our Canadian and oversea friends when it comes to fuel costs....

Its like everything else....haven't you bought groceries lately ??? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Pump shock ! #4  
You should be buying the farm diesel, it's much cheaper. $1.49 last time I bought some at the Co-op.

/ Pump shock ! #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <wondering how much it costs to keep a pair of mules> )</font>

The animals themselves.. for two good ones, will run you a couple thousand at least, plus tack. ( tack ain't cheap.. and wears out.. the nylon stuff is tougher.. but gets ratty ).

Lets see.. about 85$ each per year for coggins if you haul them up to the vet, and 45$ each for vaccinations, if you give them yourself.

Hoof trimming is about 20$ each animal every 6 weeks, make that 40$ if you shoe them.

Vet supplies need to be kept on hand.. like wound sprays, liniments and ointments, bandages and wraps, powders, puffers, butyl, etc. Dental visit every couple years to have teeth clipped or filed.. this can be from 50$ if you've got an old farrier that will do it.. or 120$ if you get a real equine dentist.

If you have enough pasture for feed, then you only need to feed them mineral blocks ( 5-9$ each depending on if you give them white, yellow or brown blocks ) hay for the stall cribs.. square bales go for about 4$ each from farmers.. to 4.45-5.00 from feed stores. Good horse round bales are about 35-50$ each depending on where you get them.. and the age and quality. Winter energy supliments like molasis and low protien blocks go from 7$ and up depending on if you get blocks, or 25$ and up for tubs.

Feed can be anywhere from 5.95 a 50# bag and up. A working animal will eat between 2 quarts to 4 gallons of feed a day depending on size, amount of work, hay, and forage quality and time. Feed/forage suppliments like beet pulp or bran may be needed depending on your pasture.

If you groom your animals like you should for health, you will be using nose sponges or rags, clipping and currying their hair when it needs it.. tieing up and trimming the main and tail, maintenance on your tack, including cleaners to get the salt off the leather and metal fittings.

Throw in a couple bags of apple treats a year at 10$ a bag, just so you can get the animals to come to you when you walk out in the pasture to fetch them for shoeing, or trimming, or vet work.. etc.

Lets see.. this all means that you will at least need a single horse trailer to get the animals anywhere.. but preferable a dual trailer.. that will be 4500$ and up just for a cheap one... without this.. add a 50-75$ farm call fee to all vet visits, etc.

Lets see... a horse barn is built a bit 'better' (read: more $$) than an equipment pole barn. ( you need stalling that is safe for animals.. and dry feed and forage storage.

You've also got extra utilities, in the form of plumbing for stock water tanks, and possibly electric fences, and tank de-icers. Add to that the basic costs of the feed buckets, scoops, grooming tools etc.

Time in careing for the animals will be more than the time in careing for your tractor.

I think I've covered most of the bases.... If not.. some other equine owners will fill the holes.

Soundguy

/ Pump shock ! #6  
That sure was a long reply Soundguy. I think you covered it all. Just pay more for the diesel, it's cheaper in the long run. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Pump shock ! #7  
Just when we thought the whole world was falling apart from "pump shock" Soundguy put it back in perspective. Thanks, we needed that, the cost of diesel doesn't sound nearly so bad now does it guys? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Pump shock ! #8  
Let me get this straight. You guys are complaining about $2.00+ a gallon for deisel fuel. Imagine paying someone to come over and do the work for you. Now don't be so cheap. Go get that fuel and use your toy. I don't care what it costs. I won't put the tractor up until all the work is done. I am waiting for the fuel guy to fill my oil tank. I am going to fill up all my gas cans with heating oil. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Pump shock ! #9  
I was just giving those that might not own equines an idea of what they are in for.

When my wife wanted a horse, and a friend of her's said it was easy and no problem, she dove in, and then it was up to me to take the crash course in horse care.. one of those schools of hard knocks.. etc.

Still.. as much work as they are.. they are some gentle souls.. and when the time comes one day that I have to dig a big hole in the pasture to put one of them in it.. it will be a sad day... heck.. I have a hard time burying a dog...

Soundguy

/ Pump shock ! #10  
Sound guy I think you got it all...... Have 3 horses and they cost about $450 a month, not counting truck, trailer or labor. The three horses cost about the same as my TC29D without the attachments. But don't forget about the "free" manure for gardening!!!
The 3500 Ram uses diesel as well by the way, and it costs as much as a 500 series BMW. And of course you have to have a better trailer for taking the girls to the horse show. But who's complaining I do enjoy it all and I will continue to play with my tractor to the end.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

elb

P.S. Don't forget how much fun you would have picking up the manure without that tractor and loader