throttle not staying set

/ throttle not staying set #1  

pshubert

I am setting my throttle to about 2200 rpm for some heavy digging and the throttle will not stay; it throttles back automatically; I have put in new fuel and air filters but still have this issue. any advice

/ throttle not staying set #2  
<font color="blue"> any advice </font>

You may want to start by telling everyone what type of tractor you have.

/ throttle not staying set #3  
Well.. if the engine speed comes down with the throttle in the same setting.. we need some more info.. if however whatever friction media that normally holds the throttle in place is loose or worn, and the actual throttle slips down.. it should be pretty obvious what needs to be tightened or adjusted.

report back

Soundguy

/ throttle not staying set #4  
Welcome to TBN!

Is the throttle lever moving? If so, there is probably a screw or bolt that adjusts the amount of friction on the lever to hold it where you set it. If the throttle lever is not moving, then you probably have a restriction in your fuel line somewhere, that will not maintain enough flow to keep the RPMs where you set them.

However, as Gatorboy said, you might get more specific advice if you can tell us the make and model of your tractor. It's a pretty good bet that someone on the forum has one just like it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Good luck.

/ throttle not staying set #5  
Had that same problem on my TC33D when it was a couple of months old. Pushed the throttle up to 2200, and it would drop back to about 1800. It got worse over time. I finally had it fixed under warranty... it was just a simple adjustment to the friction mechanism on the throttle. Note: if this is your problem, you would be able to see the throttle lever move back down after you put it up (or at least be able to see the difference in position, if the move happens too slowly for you to see).

John Mc

/ throttle not staying set #6  
My TC29D did the same thing. However it corrected itself. But I am sure with time it will be doing it again and now I think my warranty is gone so I will have to fix it myself.

murph

/ throttle not staying set #7  
When I first took delivery on my TC-40D the throttle was actually too stiff working to suit me so I merely loosened the friction nut so the throttle was easy to move without moving on its own during use. Most of these throttle assemblies are similar and east to adjust, see attachment. You can put more or less pressure by rotating nut 2.

Adjusting it, that's usually the simple part, getting to it might be a bit more work. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 525404-throttle.jpg
    525404-throttle.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 979
   / throttle not staying set #8  
When I adjust one that has backed off, I install a second nut. More effective than the 2nd class lock nuts that NH uses. Haven't had to go back to one yet.

/ throttle not staying set #9  
Sounds like the same recurring issue I have with my TC29D. The nut at the base of the throttle lever is prone to work loose. If you remove the light switches (in the 29 at least) you can see the problem nut. Work the throttle back and forth and you can see the nut tighten and loosen itself.

The fix?
Suggested but never worked for me: replace with a different lock nut or use two nuts to lock them

I just get in the habit to feel the friction on the throttle, when it starts to get loose then I just pull the switches out and tighten up the nut. It lasts a few more hours.

The dealer says that NH has a flat washer with a tab on it that the bigger Boomers come with. He has ordered my some of those to try...supposed to stop the washer from turning the nut.

/ throttle not staying set #10  
I'd loose patients on a loose nut problem.

If I were you, I'd try the jamb nut idea.. or at least, tighten the nut where you like it.. and then raid the wife or daughters manicure kit and put a few drops of clear fingernail polish ont he joint where the back of the nut and threads are visible. Should help it with vibration loosening.. yet readilyl come off when you need it too.

Soundguy