Sometime cruise control?

/ Sometime cruise control? #11  
You think your sad?? We got our first snow last night...about 2". I was hoping to finish up the last of 'leaf clean up duty', instead I spent the day indoors /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Kinda hard to blow leaves around that are under the snow /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sometime cruise control? #12  
Check for grease/oil on the plate where the magnet attaches to control speed. Clean with acetone. At the very end of the pedal travel the return spring is exerting maximal return effort. I'm not sure I'd want to activate cruise control at max speed, however - just a personal choice.

Attachments

• 529264-Cruise Control on Hydro Plate-a.jpg
    529264-Cruise Control on Hydro Plate-a.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 180
   / Sometime cruise control?
TC; We'll ALL be getting snow soon enough. One can only hope that it stays upnorth so we can go visit and play in it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I always like to see the snow upnorth, especially around Christmas, reminds me of those Currier&Ives Christmas cards> /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris; Thanks, I'll slink underneath tomorow and take a look. If it looks like I may have to disassemble too much, I think J&R will get a call Monday. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Sometime cruise control? #15  
To the best of my knowledge you can check the cruise control circuit without the engine running. Make sure your parking brake is set. Stand beside the tractor and turn the key to the on (run) position, push down on the forward or reverse hydro pedal with your hand and activate the cruise switch. The magnet should now hold the HST pedal captive.

/ Sometime cruise control? #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Check for grease/oil on the plate where the magnet attaches to control speed. Clean with acetone. )</font>

Chris, Tthat's exactly the advice I was planning on giving as I read this thread. I've been away from the computer all day and checked in a few minutes ago. I saw this thread and was "itching" to reply, but you've said exactly what I suspected. I guess the connector could have come loose, but if that were the case, John would have no cruise at any speed. I think grease on the plate or too wide a gap could be the cause of slippage. On a new tractor, I think grease is the most likely culprit.

Chris; Where did you get these drawings? It appears they are out of the mega-buck shop manual. Nice to have thing. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Sometime cruise control? #18  
John, I'm not sure Chris feels this way, but that repair manual has been worth every penny of the high price to me. I haven't bought the CD version, but my paper copy has served me very well. I'd also recommend the Illustrated Parts Manual. For some things, it shows extremely good detail.

I also just noticed that Chris recommended using acetone. If you do use this to clean the "B" shaped plate, I recommend you use a rag wet with acetone to wipe the plate clean. Acetone will instantly melt paint and plastic if you inadvertently splash something. I think I'd use a strong solution of a purple cleaner like SuperClean first. If you have only a light coating of oil/grease, this cleaner will be a lot safer than the acetone. Also, remember that acetone is extremely flammable. ...just a few thoughts. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim; Oh boy, do I know about acetone! I use it to remove contact cement on counter tops I build. Another thing about acetone, if you have any kind of a small scratch or wound, and that stuff makes contact, you'll know where it is rather quickly. That's just the voice of experience! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'll bet something like brakecleen would work pretty well also.

Hope to take care of the problem sometime today, I have to make my weekly trip to Lowes before the DT's hit before I tackle the tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sometime cruise control? #20  
I got used to acetone while working in the Chemistry lab getting my undergrad degree - everything got washed first in soapy water, then rinsed in acetone. I got so attuned to the smell and the "burning" so it doesn't bother me. It is really flammable however, but not as bad as ether. Ether fumes would roll off the counter and catch fire on the floor, burning with a nearly invisible blue flame - yikes, a real hotfoot!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've been away from the computer all day and checked in a few minutes ago. )</font>

I was wondering how I beat you to the punch! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif