Sometime cruise control?

/ Sometime cruise control? #1  

johnday

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC 35 had, now a TC35DA LS25 lawnmower
Just came back from down the road mostly on cruise. Since it's a new tractor, I hadn't really kicked up the rpm's too much. Today I did and was quite surprised. At appx 2300-2400 rpm, the tractor started to slow down instead of maintain speed. I had been around 2200 and increased engine speed when this happened. It did work alright with the foot pedal, so I tried cruise again. Same thing, is this something to protect me from myself? Or do I have a problem [with the tractor] that the dealer should look at? It's a NHTC35DA, about a month old. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Sometime cruise control? #2  
Since the tractor operates ok with the foot pedal, IMO it appears it must be the cruise circuit.

However...I'm not sure if I understood all what you said. Each time you change the RPM, do you press the cruise switch again? Most likely you do, but if not...............it needs to be reset.

/ Sometime cruise control? #3  
After I posted my response, I started thinking about my answer. Maybe I'm wrong /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

IIRC, my TC21D did the same thing. I'm not sure about my new 24. The cruise should maintain the tractor speed at which it was set. If you increase the rpm, the tractor speed would also increase. But the cruise would want to hold it at the last set speed. That might explain why it slowed down. Did it slow down to a slower speed or just want to stop?

I'm sure one of the guys here will correct me if I'm wrong on my original answer. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Sometime cruise control?
TC; I tried to reset it but it would not "take". It does seem to be the circuit, I don't believe it has anything to do with the engine speed does it? Like maybe it disengages automatically above a predetermined rpm? I'm not sure how NH set the cruise feature up, but I was thinking it only locked down the forward pedal. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

TC; Yes it slowed down to a lower speed. I should also mention that previously I had been at 1500 rpm, goosed the throttle to 2000 rpm and the tractor speeded up like I think it should. At that time I did not have to reset the cruise. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Sometime cruise control? #6  
I belive on the the New Holland that you lock the pedal in place. It has nothing to do with the RPM's. So if you slow the RPM's or speed them up the tractor should change speed. It is not like a car where a speed is maintained.

murph

/ Sometime cruise control? #7  
<font color="blue">Like maybe it disengages automatically above a predetermined rpm?

<font color="black">That was my first thought, but look at the 540 pto mark on the tach. It should be able to operate at least that fast in low range...mine would. I do believe it operates based on the pedal position, which would allow any change in rpm to be ignored. So much for my original answer /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I still have the repair manuals for my 21, so I'll go look and see what it takes to operate.

Sit tight...I'll be back

/ Sometime cruise control? #8  
murph is right...

It uses a magnet to hold the HST linkage. So, looks like I was wrong. No reset is required. I would test/inspect the magnet operation myself, but since you said it is only a month old, might be better off to let the dealer do it.

If it only slowed down and did not stop, it sounds like the magnet is slipping?? or dirt/debris is preventing full contact??

Another thought I had is to pay attention to the pedal position when the cruise is engaged. After you reach whatever speed and set the cruise, rest your foot lightly on the pedal...NO foot pressure.... Lift your foot and verify that it stays in the position that it was in when you set the cruise. Now put your foot back in place on the pedal...LIGHTLY again...and increase the rpms. Lift your foot again and notice if the pedal remains in the original position or did it lift slightly? Depending on what it does, if the condition is present, would help me know if the magnet was slipping or some other problem exists.

Sorry if I mislead you

TC; It didn't make a lot of sense to me either kicking out at that rpm due to the pto operating speed. Looking at the electrical diagrams, I can see no connection with rpm. I think I'll maybe check for some loose connections tomorow, with the different rpm, maybe the harmonics are such that something may work loose? Man, I couldn't have made up a story this good /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

TC; No need for sorry, you're trying to help /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I did notice that at the higher rpm the pedal did move upwards. Caca on the magnet? Well double hmmm! Looks like it's getting dark so I'll pour over it in the morning. How about that, 1730 and it's almost dark. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm sad. Anyone have any more suggestions? It feels funny having to ask for help instead of trying to give it. Thanks a bunch guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif