Ford 1720 Alternator

/ Ford 1720 Alternator #1  

EricinTN

Tractor
Ford 1720, 2WD
The alternator gave out the other day , and since the local dealer was closed I stopped by NAPA to see if they could cross reference the alternator (just on the off chance they had something in stock that might fit).

Well, sure enough they could cross reference it, but because it was an "industrial" application it's $380. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Still plan to call the dealer Monday, and also see if I can get it rebuilt locally.

But worst case scenario - does anybody know if there's a non-industrial grade Mitsubishi alternator that'll fit the Ford 1720?

And has anybody ever replaced their alternator with a GM 1 wire alternator?

/ Ford 1720 Alternator #2  
The gm/delco 10si alternator has probably been retrofit to more pieces of equipment than any other alternator.

Do yourself a favor though.. if you do get a 10si.. get a 3 wire model.. not a 1 wire model. The 1 wire jobs require a decent amount of rpm before they self-excite. The 3 wire jobs can be made to excite at the idle speed on your diesel.

( 3 wire is easy.. big stud goes to old charge wire in the harness. P2 can be hooked directly to the big charge stud ( if this were a car... or if the battery was a good distance from the alternator.. you would hook P2 to the battery directly. ). P1 can be hooked to the accy side of the ignition switch. If your tractor used a manual cutoff on the injector pump, P1 could be hooked to the switched 'on' side of the ignition switch.. but for units with a shutoff solenoid.. use the accy lug, as P1 will backfeed power to the ignition switch and keep your auto shutoff from happening.

All that said.. check with a local mom-n-pop shop. I had a non-oem hitatchi alternator rebuilt for my yanmar.. was ? 89 bucks? a few years ago.

Soundguy

/ Ford 1720 Alternator #3  
I bet all you'll need is new brushes put into it. Check your local Alternator rebuilding shop. It should only be a few dollars. Don't buy a new one, rebuild it! Save big money too.

Good luck.

/ Ford 1720 Alternator
Local NH dealer wanted $231, but found a local shop who did it for $55! Wife decided she won't skin me alive, considering I just put a new water pump into it not too long ago... lol