Grading Box Blade Size and Brand

/ Box Blade Size and Brand #1  

SRF34

I just purchased a used NH 1320. What width box blade can this machine handle? Any advice is much appreciated. Any "experience" tips are appreciated as well. Thanks.

/ Box Blade Size and Brand #2  
4' is safe.. generally many people like to get an implement that is as wide as the tractor. If you were only pulling or boxing gravel.. 5" light duty may do you.. but if you are doing any digging.. I can't see it toting anything over 4' reasonably.

Soundguy

/ Box Blade Size and Brand #3  
Oh yeah.. brand... that's a hot topic. many like the light and medium duty tools.. like howse and KK.. as they are also not very heavy.. and a small tractor totes them better. However. there is also something to be said about the heavier and higher quality ( more $$ ) units as well. Just depends on your intended usage. If you are gonna dig alot..or do comercial usage.. go for a better box.. if this is the monthly maneuer pusher.. or the yearly driveway drag.. you can get away with an economy model..

Soundguy

/ Box Blade Size and Brand #4  
I have 4' Howse Box Blade that I like better than the last BB I had.

The 2 big differences are the A frame that goes from the top link to the box and replacable points on the scarifier teeth.

I had a cheaper box blade like the one at TSC box blade and bent the arms on it by hitting stumps. I was pulling it with my old 8N tractor.

From what I understand many manufacturers build 2 or 3 grades of BB's and the kind I have now is probably a medium or heavy duty.

If you look at the pictures I have linked to you will see the difference in the frame. I would pay extra for the heavier duty style unless I was only using it for pure dirt work. Heavy stress will bend the arms on the cheaper BB's.

And what someone else said is what I believe, get a BB that is about the same width as the outside width of your tractor.

Bill Tolle

/ Box Blade Size and Brand #5  
I have been looking for a BB for my TC18 and found a 4' one made by International. The BB looks to be well built, the dealer had two kinds a light and a medium duty. The medium duty was $275. I can't find my quoted price for the light duty model.

Solo

/ Box Blade Size and Brand #6  
Bill, I also have an old 5' Howse BB that I bought used over 8 years ago for $175. I like the wide beam the scarifiers go through. In my opinion, this blade is as stout as it can be for a light-weight boxblade. I'd like more weight and another foot in width, but for the price, I love my little 5-footer. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Box Blade Size and Brand #7  
I recently sold my 1320. I used a 6' King Kutter box blade with 5 or 6 scarifiers on it. The tractor had no problem with this size box you just have to take it slow with a good size load. I had a hydro, diesel, 4x4 which made feathering the load pretty easy. The nice thing about it was that it covered the tire tracks entirely, so once you go over a spot your done. I used it on a lot of ATV trails with pretty deep ruts, also did about 90 ton of #2 stone. No problem. I think if you get a one smaller than 6' you'll be looking to trade it in. Hope it helps.

/ Box Blade Size and Brand
Thanks to all of you for the responses. Thats great to know that real experience demonstrates that I can use a 6-footer. Didn't think I was able to do that. Great feedback. Thanks.