Adding Remote Hydraulic Cylinders to TC40D

/ Adding Remote Hydraulic Cylinders to TC40D #1  

DVerbarg

Platinum Member
Tractor
No longer have :-(
Have a TC40D without any remote cylinders (besides the front remotes for the FEL) and am considering adding at least two remotes for the rear. All this talk of a hydraulic top link and wanting to have a remote for use with a haybine or snowblower chute (or maybe just wanting the fill the extra slots on the right hand fender /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif) has got me thinking. The parts are available as a DIY or the dealer can install it.

Have any of you installed the remotes on a TC series? If so, how long did it take and how much did it cost? The dealer is 75 minutes away and I don't relish having to take the tractor there and be without it for a week (they don't take that long but I can only do the running on weekends).

Thanks for any input.

DaveV

/ Adding Remote Hydraulic Cylinders to TC40D #2  
I've got a TC29 (the slightly smaller version of your TC40). I installed a single remote valve in about 2 hours. Having gone through it once, I could do it again in about an hour. The installation is fairly straight-forward. I've the gear version of the tractor and didn't have to remove the rear tire (thank heavens--it's full of CaCl and very heavy). My understanding is you have to remove the right rear tire on the hydro units to gain the room necessary to install the valve.

I use the valve for a hydraulic top link--I love it! I've also got a dump cart that'll run off of it.

The valve was $250 from my dealer. A two-valve set up was quoted at $460.

If you're at all mechanically inclined, you shouldn't have much difficulty.

/ Adding Remote Hydraulic Cylinders to TC40D #3  
Dave,
I have a single remote installed on my TC45D (done before purchase) and I also have the Maintenance Manual and parts diagrams. I'll be happy to send you a photo and a scan of the diagrams if you need them. I probably have a discription of assy/disassy as well. I could send them to you by this weekend if you are interested. I'd prefer to send them as an attachment to regular email also.

JimI

/ Adding Remote Hydraulic Cylinders to TC40D #4  
I have done a couple of these installations, Figure a couple of hours for the first time through. The kit gives you all you need, including detailed instructions. No exotic tools are required. Removing the right rear wheel & tire is a must on the D models. You could have the dealer get the kit in, review the instructions, and decide whether to tackle it yourself or not.

/ Adding Remote Hydraulic Cylinders to TC40D
Vermonster,

Thanks for your feedback. Since I have a hydro unit I expect that removing the wheel will take extra time. Oh well, what's half a Saturday! Besides the money savings there is that satisfaction of doing it yourself. Thanks for the prices also. I hadn't thought to ask what prices others were seeing. The prices you gave were about $50 less than what I was quoted.

Now I all have to do is figure which project I can divert some extra bucks from /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

DaveV

/ Adding Remote Hydraulic Cylinders to TC40D #6  
RickB

Just wondering why the tire removal is needed & only on D models? I have been giving some thought to buying the valves myself. I am sure I will install myself reguardless of weather the tire has to come off or not. Just wondering.

Troy

RickB,

Does your estimate of two hours include removing the wheel? Not sure what I will use to jack the rear of the tractor up with when it comes time to do this. (I see more toys--tools--coming /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif) I have considered purchasing a service manual since I expect to keep the tractor for a long time. Are the directions that come with the kit taken from the manual?

DaveV

JimI,

Would love to see anything that might be of help. The TC40D has been a great unit, just a little nervous about messing with something that is working just fine. I tackle all sorts of DIY things but its usually after its broken, not as an enhancement to a perfectly working machine...

DaveV

/ Adding Remote Hydraulic Cylinders to TC40D #9  
Keep in mind that I've got a different tractor than you. The kit I purchased was specific to the TC25, TC29, and TC33 family. You'll likely end up with a different kit for your TC40 which, because the TC40 is set up a little differently, may have different instructions.

In any case, good luck!

/ Adding Remote Hydraulic Cylinders to TC40D #10  
Dave, I scanned the IPC diagrams this morning (8 pages) and I have the assy/disassy instructions yet to do. I should be able to get them all to you by tomorrow evening or Saturday morning. I live 65 miles from my farm and go there once during the week and on weekends. That's also where all my computer toys are, so I'll get you the "stuff" soon. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimI