Tires Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #21  
I can't believe you're going to live with the swivel/toggle joint removed. Now the Brush Hog will no longer float. This is not a good situation. Two things occur, the first: When going over a hill or even a small rise in the ground the mower/cuttter rear end will lift up. Second, and what should be more of a concern, is that when reaching the bottom of a hill or any kind of a valley, as the tractor front end levels off or starts to rise, tremendous force will be put on the rear of the mower. By removing the swivel the whole setup has been made rigid. I saw this happen on an early version of the King Kutter, which back then had no swivel, when my Dad used it on his old Ford 981. The rear wheel on the cutter bent plus the mowing was very uneven because the mower always cut to close or raised up constantly. As a result we fabricated a toggle joint which looks pretty much like the one in the King Kutter photo.

I had a similar problem as you with my Woods brush hog and my TC40D, and it was relatively easy to fix. A couple of good points have already been made and the tremendously helpful sketch really shows much of it: Look at the sketch and you'll see that without major modification or buying of any new hitch components, two things will cure the problem: 1)lower the two category 1 pins of the mower/cutter, which will help keep the bottom of the mower out from the tires and also 2) shorten the tractor top link adjustment. My Woods had a second set of lower holes, but if your's doesn't, I'd just drill two about 6 inches lower than the existing ones. The top link adjustment should be such that you keep the toggle link about 2/3 of its travel toward the tractor. That way, the worst that happens is the rear of the mower raises up on going over very peaked hills, but you will rarely, hopefully never, get to where there is not enough travel in the reverse direction, or else you'll be in the same situation as not having the toggle - a rigid setup. Also, set up like this, you won't have to raise the mower too much before all the play is out of the top link and the mower won't drop as much as shown in the sketch.

If your really want a fine, almost finish mower quality with the Brush Hog, fit it also with chains(and turnbuckles for fine-tuning) which connect the lower front of the mower to somewhere near or at the top link of the tractor 3-pt. This makes the mower front end float with the tractor rear tires rather than with the lower links and ensures a perfectly constant and consistant mowing height. Woods used to furnish all it's mowers and brush hogs this way, but many people took them off thinking they were just to reduce side to side sway - wrong. If you're in it as a business, this is the way to go.

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #22  
C'mon guys. Don't beat me up before you read the whole thread. Earlier I mentioned that the toplink could be replaced with a chain if the swivel was removed, and I mentioned the chains that control the height also. Both of these are good advise. I am in total agreement. As to modifying the cutter...I always worry about doing anything that might void my warranty. I'd check with my dealer before I started drillin'.

JimI

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #23  
Geez I've got an older 6' and 10' rotary mowers and neither one of them have the kind of setup that you're talking about and I do fine. I just keep an eye on the mower and raise and lower it as needed with the three lever. I'm not saying the newer stuff isn't better just that it works ok with the other mowers as well. It's not like they're going to hurt you as long as you watch what's going on. My mowers will hit the back tires as well if I lift it too high. If I'm going down the road with it I just shorten the arm link and it's fine and then lower it when I'm ready to mow again.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #24  
Richard, unless you've tried the setup we're describing, where the top link is flexible (either through the toggle or a chain-type top link) and the rear of the cutter always rides on the back wheel (because of the flexible top link), and the front of the cutter is supported by two chains that connect from the cutter to the tractor, you won't believe how effortless and fine a mowing job a rotary cutter can produce. Setup like this, you never have to adjust the 3-pt to raise and lower it to get a good cut. To mow, all you do is lower the 3-pt all the way so the mower is resting on the wheel and the chains. With it lowered all the way and hanging from the chains, the lower links float and the front of the deck floats with the rear tractor wheels. You can keep your attention looking forward plus get a perfectly consistant mowing lever. The mower never bottoms out in front or has the skids dig in. Seeing is believing. This isn't new. In fact, Woods used it back in the early 70's and throught the 80's on all it's rear-mount mowers and some brushhogs, but seems to be now going like most manufactures of mowers to front and back wheels on their mowers. Don't know if they're supplying the chains on their brushhogs, but their top link still is movable. Anyway, the chains are a really easy thing to add and well worth it if you want consistant mowing height. Oh well, I've beat this to death, haven't I??? But, I think you'd never want to do without once you've tried this on any rear mount mower or brushhog/rotary cutter.

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #25  
Oh don't get me wrong I completely agree with you on new and better ways to do things. I'm just not about to go out and spend $4900, quote for a new Woods 10' mower supposedly best price, for a new mower to mow my pastures with is all. My point was just that it may not be the best setup but it works ok not having it that way. For me I'm just mowing pastures so it's not that big of a deal for me to get a good even cut. I'm just looking to knock down the places that the horses don't eat and control weeds.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #26  
CB-Doc, you don't have to buy a new mower to try the "floating" toplink chain. I just use a piece of chain wrapped around my toplink pins on my tractor and mower. I fasten the two ends of the chain with a bolt or quicklink. The "constant height" chains going from the toplink on the tractor to the side pins on the mower are available as a kit from TSC for around $15. Since I have really rough terrain (lots of gulleys and terraces) this setup really makes my job much nicer and keeps me from breaking equipment or bottoming out my cutter in the dirt. I still have to feather the 3pt control for the most severe terrain, even with this setup. If you don't mow a lot of very unlevel areas, you may not have a need for this "fix" whatsoever.

JimI

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #27  
Oh believe me Jim I need it!!! My ground is rough as a cob. If you get a chance could you post or send me a picture of that setup I'd like to try that out and appreciate you sharing the ideas with me.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires
Ok guys I forgot to mention that I had switched to using chain for the top link with the swivel taken off the bush hog. It will still rub the tires if I'm not careful so I guess I'm back to just lifting the cutter high enough to get the tail wheel off the ground. You know, if I could make the adjustable end links on the lower arms lock in the 'out' position it would be fine. Thanks for all the help.

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #29  
Chris,

Go back to basics...I think you're almost there...

Using Jim's diagram, with the top link swivel removed @ the cutter & with your tractor top-link adjusted to the shortest position {and No Chain involved or other pieces}; when you raise the cutter all the way up, that cutter should be approximately at a 30-40 degree angle... {now you should have about 1-2" clearance, it's not going to be a foot!}

If worse comes to worse, locate a "shorter" Cat I top-link to use.

I'm not a fan of using a chain mechanism on the top-link section...You want stable support on the "top side" of the implement.{Remember why they call this a 3-Point hitch?}

Example- I back up to lots of crap/junk brush with the cutter raised and then lowered for destroy mode, that cutter can get pretty violent... I need that extra support/safety the top-link provides when/if the cutter starts shaking/oscillating...{you need something somewhat firm for control}

Just my humble opinion...

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #30  
CB-Doc, I'll be glad to send you a photo.... Coming soon!

JimI