Tires Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #1  

spd163

Has anyone had trouble with the front edge of their bush hog rubbing the backs of their rear tires? I've got a TC-35 with the 14.9x24 R1 rear tires and a 5' King Kutter rotary mower. If I raise the 3pt all the way up, it will almost always rub the tires. When the cutter is lowered for mowing it's not a problem, but anything from about 1/3 lift to full lift and it will hit the tires while turning / backing. I've tried everything I can think of and still can't get it to stop -- I've never had this problem before. Any suggestions?

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #2  
Okay, I need a little help with geometry here. How do you raise your Bush Hog all the way up without the PTO drive slamming into the top of your mower? I've never, never been able to raise my rear cutter that high. Are you sure your toplink isn't mis-adjusted? You got me scratchin' my head.

JimI

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires
OK let's see if I can explain better...I've only had this tractor 2 months and this was the first time I hooked up the bush hog. I know b/c it's bigger than my last tractor it will lift things higher on the 3pt but the PTO shaft hasn't caused any problems. I should correct my first post by saying that I can raise the bush hog to an adequate height to keep it and the tail wheel off the ground for transport, but as soon as I get it to that height, the front edge of the deck rubs against the back of the tires. It's as if the lower lift arms on the 3pt need to be a couple of inches longer. As long as the mower is down low (like for cutting) it's fine, I can raise it up to about 4-6 inches off the ground and it's ok till I turn or the ground isn't level and the cutter sways to the left or right, then it tries to eat me overpriced new rear tires that I don't want to replace yet.
As for the top link, I've tried adjusting it all the way in, all the way out, and lots of spots in between. I've considered removing the swivel part on the top link connection of the cutter and just using a piece of chain for the top link on the tractor. That would let the cutter 'float' according to terrain, but the chain would tighten when the lift-arms were raised and the cutter would lift. I'm at a loss, I've tried everything I can think of. I used this cutter with my last tractor (Ford 1510) and did not have this problem. I've used other cutters and tractors and this has never been an issue so I don't know what the deal is. I need to come up with something b/c I've got people waiting for me to mow and I want their money. But I do not want to use that money to replace rear tires when the mower deck grinds the tread off. Sorry for the long post...any more thougths?

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #4  
<font color=blue>removing the swivel part on the top link connection of the cutter ...</font color=blue>

$2. to donuts... bet it's the top link/swivel combo...

{The swivel works great using my Masseys, but interferes when using the JD}

Notice when you raise the cutter to the transport position... the swivel top link should be swiveled in a downward position.

Take the swivel off the mower and try it. As you're aware, it's extremely dangerous going down the road with that deck next to your rears...a few millimeters away...

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #5  
Well, now I understand a little better. I have a TSC cutter (made by King Kutter) on my Ford Jubilee and I have done exactly as you stated about the chain, because my property is bumpy and the top swivel was always jamming and causing problems. The chain works fine. I also have the chains going from the toplink on the tractor to the 3pt attachment pins on the mower (with the lift arms) so I can lift the deck, but it never goes lower than I want it. John Miller's advice seems good and your problem is that the pins on your mower are not offset forward enough to give you the clearance you need. You cannot move the pins, so I might suggest you think of buying one of those quick-attachment frames for your three-point hitch. That should give you two or three more inches of clearance. It will work with your cutter, and you will have the added benefit of being able to quickly attach to other implements as well. Good luck. I have noticed that my cutter is close to my ag tires also, but I normally raise it only enough to get the trailing tire just off the ground when I am going from field to field.

JimI

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #6  
Check the wheels. The dealer may have set the tractor up with the rear wheels at the narrowest setting, so you may have several options of widening the wheels. You may want some help changing them if they have liquid ballast, they are plenty heavy when empty.

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #7  
This is a new one for me "swivel part on the top link connection of the cutter ..." What is that? I've been around utility tractors and smaller for a good portion of my life but have not heard that term before and cannot picture what that might be.

DaveV

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #9  
You have two choices:

First alter the frame of the cutter where the two lower link arms connect to the frame of the cutter.

Second replace the lower arms with longer ones.

It doesn't matter what you do with the toplink. Long or short it still will be the same distance from the rear tires. If the lower arms were longer then no more problem. But if you do go with longer lower arms make sure your pto is still long enough.

I know that is not what you wanted to hear but that is the solution.

Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg

/ Bush Hog Rubbing Rear Tires #10  
Kutter.jpg

Dave,
Notice the top swivel u-shaped piece of steel where the tractor's top link attaches... This pivots, allowing the deck to somewhat "float"...

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG